The handbook of dialectology / edited by Charles Boberg, John Nerbonne, and Dominic Watt
- Blackwell Handbooks in linguistics
- 1. Dialectology, philology and historical linguistics / Raymond Hickey -- 2. The dialect dictionary / Jacques Van Keymeulen -- 3. Linguistic atlases / William A. Kretzschmar, Jr. -- 4. Structural dialectology / Matthew J. Gordon -- 5. Dialectology and formal linguistic theory : the blind man and the lame / Frans Hinskens -- 6. Sociodialectology / Tore Kristiansen -- 7. Dialectometry / Hans Goebl -- 8. Dialect contact and new dialect formation / David Britain -- 9. Dialect change in Europe, leveling and convergence / Peter Auer -- 10. Perceptual dialectology / Dennis R. Preston -- 11. Dialect intelligibility / Charlotte Gooskens -- 12. Applied dialectology : dialect coaching, dialect reduction and forensic phonetics / Dominic Watt -- 13. Dialect sampling methods / Ronald Macaulay -- 14. The dialect questionnaire / Carmen Llamas -- 15. Written dialect surveys / J.K. Chambers -- 16. Field interviews in dialectology / Guy Bailey -- 17. Corpus-based approaches to dialect study / Benedikt Szmrecsanyi and Lieselotte Anderwald -- 18. Acoustic phonetic dialectology / Erik R. Thomas -- 19. Computational dialectology / Wilbert Heeringa and Jelena Prokić -- 20. Dialect maps / Stefan Rabanus -- 21. Identifying regional dialects in online social media / Jacob Eisenstein -- 22. Logistic regression analysis of linguistic data / John C. Paolillo -- 23. Statistics for aggregate variationist analyses / John Nerbonne and Martijn Wieling -- 24. Spatial statistics for dialectology / Jack Grieve -- 25. Dialects of British and southern hemisphere English / Kevin Watson -- 26. Dialects of North American English / Charles Boberg -- 27. Dialects of German, Dutch and the Scandinavian languages / Sebastian Kürschner -- 28. Dialects of French / Damien Hall -- 29. Dialects of Italy / Tullio Telmon -- 30. Dialects of Spanish and Portuguese / John M. Lipski -- 31. Dialects of the Slavic languages / Vladimir Zhobov and Ronelle Alexander -- 32. Dialects of Arabic / Enam Al-Wer and Rudolf de Jong -- 33. Dialects in the Indo-Aryan landscape / Ashwini Deo -- 34. Dialects of Chinese / Chaoju Tang -- 35. Dialects of Japanese / Takuichiro Onishi -- 36. Dialects of Malay/Indonesian / Alexander Adelaar.
- This Handbook provides an authoritative, up-to-date and unusually broad account of the study of dialect, in one volume. Each chapter reviews essential research, and offers a critical discussion of the past, present and future development of the area. The volume is based on state-of-the-art research in dialectology around the world, providing the most current work available with an unusually broad scope of topics. It provides a practical guide to the many methodological and statistical issues surrounding the collection and analysis of dialect data; offers summaries of dialect variation in the world s most widely spoken and commonly studied languages, including several non-European languages that have traditionally received less attention in general discussions of dialectology; and reviews the intellectual development of the field, including its main theoretical schools of thought and research traditions, both academic and applied. The editors are well known and highly respected, with a deep knowledge of this vast field of inquiry.
- 9781118827581 (electronic bk.)
1118827589 (electronic bk.)
9781118827628 (electronic bk.)
1118827627 (electronic bk.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22861308