Zooarchaeology in practice : case studies in methodology and interpretation in archaeofaunal analysis / Christina M. Giovas, Michelle J. LeFebvre, editors
- Cham, Switzerland : Springer International Publishing, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 331 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Giovas, Christina M., LeFebvre, Michelle J., and Society for American Archaeology. Annual Meeting (79th : 2014 : Austin, Tex.)
- 1. Methods, methodology, and zooarchaeology in practice / Christina M. Giovas and Michelle J. LeFebvre -- Part I. Identification and quantification. 2. The history of MNI in North American zooarchaeology / R. Lee Lyman ; 3. Contemporary challenges in zooarchaeological specimen identification / Michelle J. LeFebvre and Ashley E. Sharpe ; 4. Impact of analytic protocols on archaeofish abundance, richness, and similarity : a Caribbean-Pacific crossover study / Christina M. Giovas -- Part II. Beyond quantification : taphonomy, fragmentation, and assemblage size. 5. Bone taphonomy in deep urban stratigraphy : case studies from York, United Kingdom / Clare Rainsford and Terry O'Connor ; 6. Low-survival skeletal elements track attrition, not carcass transport behavior in Quaternary large mammal assemblages / J. Tyler Faith and Jessica C. Thompson ; 7. Influence of bone survivorship on taxonomic abundance measures / Jacob L. Fisher ; 8. Shell fragmentation beyond screen-size and the reconstruction of intra-site settlement patterns : a case study from the west coast of South Africa / Antonieta Jerardino ; 9. The value in studying large faunal collections using traditional zooarchaeological methods : a case study from Anglo-Saxon England / Pam J. Crabtree -- Part III. Isotopic and biomolecular techniques. 10. Molluscs and paleoenvironmental reconstruction in island and coastal settings : variability, seasonality, and sampling / Catherine F. West, Meghan Burchell, and C. Fred T. Andrus ; 11. Ancient DNA in zooarchaeology : new methods, new questions and settling old debates in Pacific commensal studies / Elizabeth Matisoo-Smith ; 12. Zooarchaeology by mass spectrometry (ZooMS) collagen fingerprinting for the species identification of archaeological bone fragments / Michael Buckley -- Part IV. Toward practical applications and broader syntheses. 13. Coming to terms with imperfection : comparative studies and the search for grazing impacts in seventeenth century New Mexico / Emily Lena Jones ; 14. Zooarchaeology method and practice in classical archaeology : interdisciplinary pathways forward / Michael MacKinnon ; 15. Assessing California mussel (Mytilus californianus) size changes through deep time : a methodological case study from San Miguel Island, California / Todd J. Braje, Breana Campbell, and Hannah Haas ; 16. Concluding remarks / Umberto Albarella.
- Book available in 2017.
"This Springer imprint is published by Springer Nature"--Title page verso.
Outgrowth of a symposium at the 79th annual meeting  of the Society for American Archaeology, held in Austin, Texas. (Acknowledgments)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 22862759