Milestones in green transition and climate compatible development in eastern and southern Africa / editors, Truphena E. Mukuna and Christopher A. Shisanya
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia : Organisation for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa (OSSREA), 2015.
- Physical Description:
- xxxv, 283 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Mukuna, Truphena E.
Shisanya, Chris A.
Organization for Social Science Research in Eastern and Southern Africa
- Introduction: Theoretical underpinnings of climate compatible development and green growth in selected Eastern and Southern African countries -- Mainstreaming climate adaptation into agricultural planning and development in Kenya -- Climate-smart agriculture in Lesotho: initiatives and perspectives -- Effects of climate change on agricultural productivity across East African countries: comparative evidence from Kenya and Uganda -- Adoption of green technologies in the public transport sector: the case of Rea Vaya BRT system, South Africa -- Rural women's participation and investment in renewable energy as a low-carbon adaptation strategy: evidence from the sustainable energy project in Malawi -- Environmental and economic feasibility of bioethanol systems: towards climate compatible development -- Climate-compatible development in the Water sector of Ethiopia, Mozambique and Tanzania -- Climate compatible strategies in planning and investment in South Africa -- Championing a green future through higher education: initiatives of selected regional research organisations in Africa.
- It is widely recognised that climate change poses significant serious threats to sustained economic growth and agricultural development, poverty reduction, food security and political stability globally. Nowhere are these challenges more marked than in Africa where two-thirds of all available land is classified either as desert or dry land, in relation to which the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (2013) has classified the continent as the most vulnerable to climate change variability. This anthology is a product of a call from OSSREA to collate evidence based researches in a book in a bid to assess how far countries in eastern and southern Africa are implementing the UNFCCC, Rio+20, Agenda 21 and other global and Africa-wide decisions concerning the need to address climate change. -- Back cover.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (2013)
- Climatic changes
- Climatic changes—International cooperation
- Environmental policy—International cooperation
- Arid regions—Africa, Eastern—Economic conditions—21st century
- Arid regions—Africa, Southern—Economic conditions—21st century
- Renewable energy sources—Africa, Eastern
- Renewable energy sources—Africa, Southern
- Sustainable development—Africa, Eastern
- Sustainable development—Africa, Southern
- Drought management—Africa, Eastern
- Drought management—Africa, Southern
- Africa, Eastern—Economic conditions—21st century
- Africa, Southern—Economic conditions—21st century
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 22863013