Van Gogh and the seasons / Sjraar van Heugten ; with contributions by Joan Greer, Ted Gott
- Heugten, Sjraar van
- Princeton, New Jersey : Princeton University Press ; Melbourne, Victoria : National Gallery of Victoria, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 255 pages : illustrations, map, facsimiles, portraits ; 31 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Greer, Joan Eileen
Gott, Ted, 1960-
Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890. Selections
National Gallery of Victoria
Art Exhibitions Australia Limited
Princeton University Press
- Language Note:
- Text in English.
- The changing seasons captivated Vincent van Gogh (1853-90), who saw in their unending cycle the majesty of nature and the existence of a higher force. 'Van Gogh and the Seasons' is the first book to explore this central aspect of van Gogh's life and work. Van Gogh often linked the seasons to rural life and labor as men and women worked the land throughout the year. From his depictions of peasants and sowers to winter gardens, riverbanks, orchards, and harvests, he painted scenes that richly evoke the sensory pleasures and deprivations particular to each season. This stunning book brings to life the locales that defined his tumultuous career, from Arles, where he experienced his most crucial period of creativity, to Auvers-sur-Oise, where he committed suicide. It looks at van Gogh's interpretation of nature, the religious implications of the seasons in the era in which he lived, and how his art was perceived against the backdrop of various symbolist factions, antimaterialist debates, and esoteric beliefs in fin de siècle Paris. The book also features revealing extracts from the artist's correspondence and artworks from his own collection that provide essential context to the themes in his work.
- Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890—Exhibitions
- Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890—Themes, motives—Exhibitions
- Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890
- Male artists—Netherlands—19th century—Biography
- Painters—Netherlands—19th century—Biography
- Painting, Dutch—19th century—Exhibitions
- Seasons in art—Exhibitions
- Painting, Dutch
- Seasons in art
- 0691179719 (cloth : hardbound)
9780691179711 (cloth : hardbound)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 250).
- Data/Place of Event:
- "Van Gogh and the Seasons" : April 28-July 9, 2017, the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia.
- Published for the exhibition Van Gogh and the Seasons, an exhibition organized by the National Gallery of Victoria and Art Exhibitions Australia, and held at NGV International, Melbourne, 9 April - 9 July 2017.
View MARC record | catkey: 22865608