Developing Africa's financial services : the importance of high-impact entrepreneurship / edited by Dana T. Redford
- Bingley : Emerald Publishing, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Redford, Dana T.
- Front Cover; Developing Africa's Financial Services: The Importance of High-Impact Entrepreneurship; Copyright; Contents; List of Contributors; Foreword; Introduction; Part I: Framework Chapters; Chapter 1 The Rise of Financial Services in Africa: An Historical Perspective; Introduction; African Savings and Credit: Socio-Cultural Foundations of Money; First Wave of Globalization: Africa and Imperialism; Banking for the Growing Industrial Economies; Banking for a Modern Industrial Economy; Banking in Independent Africa; Banking in Opening African Markets; Conclusion; References.
Chapter 2 High-Impact Entrepreneurship and Its Importance in Sub-Saharan AfricaHigh-Impact Entrepreneurship and Its Importance; Supporting High-Impact Entrepreneurship in Sub-Saharan Africa; The Financial Sector and High-Impact Entrepreneurship; Policy Aspects of High-Impact Entrepreneurship and the Financial Sector; Conclusion; References; Chapter 3 Transforming Africa through Risk Management: Insurance Matters; Insurance and Economic Development; In Theory; In practice; Establishing a Strong Insurance Market; Insurance and Small Businesses; The Protective Advantage; The Productive Advantage.
How Insurers Can Serve Small EnterprisesProduct Design; Distribution; Insurance Culture and Demand; Conclusions; References; Chapter 4 The Financial Ecosystem for High-Impact Entrepreneurship in French-Speaking Sub-Saharan Africa; Entrepreneurial Ecosystems; Common Currency Zone and Trade Difficulties; Shortcomings of Banking Sector in the CFA Zone; Conclusion; References; Part II: Case Studies of High-Impact Entrepreneurship in Banking; Chapter 5 Atlantico: A New Benchmark for Angolan Banking; Introduction; Financial Services in Africa; Angola's Financial Services Industry.
Brief Characterization and Presentation of Statistical DataThe Development of the Financial Services Sector in Angola; Related National Policies; High-Impact Entrepreneurship: Banco Atlantico, the Theory in Action; Entrepreneurship in Angola; Methodology; Characterization of the Institution; Atlantico's Start-up Story; Evolution, Growth, Agencies and Wealth Generated (Statistical Data Describing Growth); Employee Growth and the Development of the Team; Main Challenges; Management & Strategy; Market Positioning; Marketing Approach; Brand & Organizational Culture (Vision, Mission, and Values).
InternationalizationTechnology; Competitive Advantage; Training, Knowledge, and Skills; Career Mobility; Market Leadership; Leadership and Role Players (Inspiring the Next Generation of Entrepreneurs); Corporate Social Responsibility as One of the Founding Principles; Impact in the Market; Contribution to Angolan Development; Conclusions; Leadership as Key, Team Development Is Fundamental; References; Appendix 1: List of Individuals Interviewed; Chapter 6 Equity Bank: A High-Impact Entrepreneurial Turnaround Story; Kenya and Its Regional Economic Integration in East Africa; Methodology.
Equity Bank -- From Insolvency to Market Leader.
- Financial services are an essential element in powering entrepreneurial activity beyond resource extraction in Africa. This book examines the macro-trends and highlights inspiring success stories of entrepreneurial financial sector ventures that are making a lasting contribution to the economic development of various sub-Saharan African countries.
- 9781787141865 (electronic bk.)
1787141861 (electronic bk.)
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Robert J. Nurock Libraries Endowment; 2017
View MARC record | catkey: 22865808