Human development and the environment : challenges for the United Nations in the new millennium / edited by Hans van Ginkel [and others].
- Tokyo ; New York : United Nations University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 313 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Ginkel, J. A. van and United Nations University Conference 'On the Threshold of the New Millennium' (2000 : United Nations University)
- Reflections on human development and the environment / Hans van Ginkel, Brendan Barrett, Julius Court, Jerry Velasquez -- Conceptual challenges of a globalizing economy / Karel van Wolferen -- Into the twenty-first century : assessing social and political concerns / Rolph van der Hoeven -- Policy priorities for human development / Ruth Kagia -- Poverty and inequality in the era of liberalization and globalization / Giovanni Andrea Cornia -- The future of technology and the implications for society and the UN system / Jerome Glenn, Theodore Gordon -- Population : a global challenge for the twenty-first century / Wolfgang Lutz -- Institutions, corruption, and development, and their ramifications for international cooperation / Beatrice Weder -- Future of global economic governance / Walden Bello -- Urbanization, industrialization, and sustainable development / Fred Langeweg, Henk Hilderink, Rob Maas -- Water in our future / Motoyuki Suzuki -- The importance of tropical atmospheric chemistry in global change research / Paul Crutzen -- Energy requirements for the new millennium / Ingvar B. Fridleifsson -- Global food security for tomorrow / Monkombu Sambasivam Swaminathan -- Land degradation : a global and regional problem / Adel El-Beltagy -- Global governance of biological diversity / A. Hamid Zakri -- International environmental governance and its impact on social and human development / Akiko Domoto.
- Report Numbers:
- "UNUP-1069"--T.p. verso.
Papers presented at a conference entitled "On the Threshold of the New Millennium" held in Tokyo on Jan. 19-21, 2000.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2299390