Alienation and freedom / Frantz Fanon ; edited by Jean Khalfa and Robert J.C. Young ; translated by Steven Corcoran
- Fanon, Frantz, 1925-1961
- Uniform Title:
- Écrits sur l'aliénation et la liberté. English
- London, UK : Bloomsbury Academic, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 796 pages, 12 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Khalfa, Jean, Young, Robert, 1950-, and Corcoran, Steve
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Part I. Theatre. Fanon, revolutionary playwright -- The drowning eye -- Parallel hands -- Part II. Psychiatric writings. Fanon, revolutionary playwright -- Mental alterations, character modifications, psychic disorders and intellectual deficit in spinocerebellar heredodegeneration: a case of Friedrich's ataxia with delusions of possession -- Letter to Maurice Despinoy -- Trait d'union -- On some cases treated with the Bini method -- Indications of electroconvulsive therapy within institutional therapies -- On an attempt to rehabilitate a patient suffering from morpheic epilepsy and serious character disorders -- Note on sleep therapy techniques using conditioning and electroencephalographic monitoring -- Our journal -- Social therapy in a ward of Muslim men: methodological difficulties -- Daily life of the douars -- Introduction to sexuality disorders among North Africans -- Current aspects of mental care in Algeria -- Ethnopsychiatric considerations -- Conducts of confession in North Africa -- Maghrebi Muslims and their attitude to madness -- TAT in Muslim women: sociology of perception and imagination -- Letter to the resident minister -- The phenomenon of agitation in the psychiatric milieu: general considerations, psychopathological meaning -- Biological study of the action of lithium citrate on bouts of mania -- On a case of torsion spasm -- First tests using injectable meprobamate for hypochondriac states -- Day hospitalizations in psychiatry: value and limits -- Day hospitalizations in psychiatry: value and limits part two: doctrinal considerations -- The meeting between society and psychiatry -- Part III. Political writings. The demoralized Foreign Legion -- Algeria's independence: the only possible outcome -- Algeria and the French crisis -- A democratic revolution -- Once again: the reason for the precondition -- Algerian revolutionary consciousness -- In the Caribbean, birth of a nation? -- The strategy of an army with its back to the wall -- The survivors of no man's land -- Testament of a 'man of the left' -- Ultracolonialism's rationale -- The western world and the fascist experience in France -- Gaullist illusions -- The calvary of a people -- The rising anti-imperialist movement and the slow-wits of pacification -- African countries and their solidary combat -- Richard Wright's White man, listen! -- At Conakry, he declares: 'global peace goes via national independence' -- Africa accuses the west -- Why we use violence -- The stooges of imperialism -- Letter to Ali Shariati -- Part IV. Publishing Fanon (France and Italy, 1959-1971). Correspondence between François Maspero and Frantz Fanon -- The Italian Fanon: unearthing a hidden editorial history -- Part V. Frantz Fanon's library and life. Frantz Fanon's library -- Key dates in Fanon's chronology.
- "Alienation and Freedom collects together previously unpublished works comprising around half of his entire output - which were previously inaccessible or thought to be lost. This book introduces audiences to a new Fanon, a more personal Fanon and one whose literary and psychiatric works, in particular, take centre stage. These writings provide new depth and complexity to our understanding of Fanon's entire oeuvre revealing more of his powerful thinking about identity, race and activism which remain remarkably prescient. Shedding new light on the work of a major 20th-century philosopher, this disruptive and moving work will shape how we look at the world." --Jacket flap.
- 9781474250245, 1474250246, 9781474250214 (HB), and 1474250211 (HB)
- Translation of: Écrits sur l'aliénation et la liberté (Paris : La Découverte, ©2015).
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23121316