Handbook of research on supply chain management for sustainable development / Ulas Akkucuk, editor
- Hershey : Business Science Reference, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Akkucuk, Ulas, 1975-
- Machine generated contents note: Research in the last two decades has broadened venues from optimizing operations for a specific organization to critically examining the entire supply chain from the perspective of sustainability. / Fern D. Kaufman / M. Ali Ulku -- The term sustainability has been used in varying meanings in different disciplines. / Fern D. Kaufman / M. Ali Ulku -- With this chapter, the authors propose to bring together an interdisciplinary framework for sustainable supply chain management (SSCM). / Fern D. Kaufman / M. Ali Ulku -- SSCM will be studied through literature surveys on the axes of both natural sciences, and social sciences, with an overarching goal of policy implications. / Fern D. Kaufman / M. Ali Ulku -- Unlike quantitatively oriented natural sciences, integrating perspectives from the social sciences into a firm's overall sustainability strategy is still seen as a large undertaking by firms and can impede its sustainability. / Fern D. Kaufman / M. Ali Ulku -- More practical and scholarly research needs to be conducted in this area, especially in terms of assessment and evaluation mechanisms. / Fern D. Kaufman / M. Ali Ulku -- In this chapter, an advanced remanufacturing-to-order and disassembly-to-order (ARTODTO) system is considered to evaluate various design alternatives of end-of-life (EOL) products to meet products, components, and materials demands. / Aditi D. Joshi / Surendra M. Gupta -- There are uncertainties about the quantity, quality, and variety of returned EOL products, and these uncertainties lead to fractional disassembly yields. / Aditi D. Joshi / Surendra M. Gupta -- Since the main input to the system is EOL products, their quantities to be acquired is important, and should be determined such that they satisfy all the demands. / Aditi D. Joshi / Surendra M. Gupta -- The designs are evaluated based on four criteria: total profit, procurement cost, purchase cost, and disposal cost using goal programming (GP). / Aditi D. Joshi / Surendra M. Gupta -- A numerical example using EOL dryers is considered to illustrate the implementation of the proposed model. / Aditi D. Joshi / Surendra M. Gupta -- Corporations are profit-oriented organizations. / Fatih Yilmaz -- If they do not have enough profit, they cannot survive. / Fatih Yilmaz -- The expectations and forecasts have a key role in decision making. / Fatih Yilmaz -- Thorough those expectations and forecasts, a scenario is developed. / Fatih Yilmaz -- If a scenario contains financials, it means that a budget is prepared. / Fatih Yilmaz -- Budget is a kind of financial simulator of a business. / Fatih Yilmaz -- Budgeting is a vital tool in financial management for sustainable development. / Fatih Yilmaz -- Budgeting also maintains the effectiveness of capital and resource of the company. / Fatih Yilmaz -- There is diversity in the budgets of each sector or each industry. / Fatih Yilmaz -- Manufacturing, logistics, airlines, construction, hospitality, and others have sectoral differences in budgeting. / Fatih Yilmaz -- In this chapter, objectives of budgeting, budgeting methods, steps in budgeting, sectoral differences, relationship between budgets, and strategic planning are discussed. / Fatih Yilmaz -- This chapter attempts to study the view of Turkish consumers towards various types of renewable energy production methods and to assess whether consumers will pay premium prices for different types of renewable sources. / Ulas Akkucuk -- The chapter makes use of an online survey for data collection. / Ulas Akkucuk -- 927 responses were collected in total during 2015. / Ulas Akkucuk -- 92% of the respondents state that they believe in global warming. / Ulas Akkucuk -- The results indicate that one-fourth of the consumers are not willing to pay anything extra if electricity is obtained from renewable sources. / Ulas Akkucuk -- However, almost half thinks that they could pay 5% to 10% more. / Ulas Akkucuk -- In terms of the importance placed by the consumers on different means of electricity generation by renewable sources, the highest importance is placed on solar energy, followed by wind, biomass, and hydroelectric. / Ulas Akkucuk -- Policy makers in the public and private sectors can consider these results when making changes to the current energy generation and distribution infrastructure. / Ulas Akkucuk -- The global manufacturing network facilitates the complex and opaque supply chains, comprising multiple levels of subcontracting which provide an easy scope for modern slavery through unfair labor practices. / Purna Prabhakar Nandamuri / Rekh Raj Jain / Vijayudu Gnanamkonda -- Global supply chains accommodate around 20% of total workforce. / Purna Prabhakar Nandamuri / Rekh Raj Jain / Vijayudu Gnanamkonda -- But, it is estimated, at any given moment that approximately three out of every thousand people on the planet are suffering in some form of forced labor, which is more prevalent in the Asia-Pacific region, which accounts for around 56% of the global total. / Purna Prabhakar Nandamuri / Rekh Raj Jain / Vijayudu Gnanamkonda -- Further, about 90% of the forced labor are exploited in the private economy. / Purna Prabhakar Nandamuri / Rekh Raj Jain / Vijayudu Gnanamkonda -- However, most of the successful corporates along with the governments understand the need to combat this global menace through strong legislation. / Purna Prabhakar Nandamuri / Rekh Raj Jain / Vijayudu Gnanamkonda -- The chapter attempts to analyze the major legal provisions of the prevailing labor standards framework in India, along with the pertinent case laws. / Purna Prabhakar Nandamuri / Rekh Raj Jain / Vijayudu Gnanamkonda -- To sustain the growing competition by the domestic players and the international players, these firms are implementing customer service standards to be wary of adopting easily achievable performance standards. / Atul Bamrara -- But setting standards at unrealistically low levels will not help to establish a competitive advantage. / Atul Bamrara -- Emphasis on total quality or on creation of the perfect order are very critical to any acceptable quality level set below 100%; the firm should develop customer service policies and standards through customer consultation; the firm should develop procedures to measure, monitor, and control the customer service quality called for by the firm's performance measures and [ect.] / Atul Bamrara -- The chapter discusses the various tools, techniques, and highlights the critical success factors for a logistic firm by studying the five topmost logistics organizations on the globe. / Atul Bamrara -- The increase in environmental pollution, the decrease in resources, and legal obligations that came with globalization, industrialization, and economic developments increased the responsibilities of individuals, societies, and managers at all levels regarding environmental issues. / Ilknur Sayan -- For the future of societies and the world and to ensure the existence and sustainability of a healthy and safe environment to minimize environmental problems, organizations should take environmentally sensitive approaches. / Ilknur Sayan -- Environmental management systems are useful and important in many ways such as reducing the adverse impacts of the organizations on the environment, creating safe work environments, preventing pollution, lowering costs, reducing risks, improving environmental performance, improving corporate image, improving the success and reputation of [ect.] / Ilknur Sayan -- The aim of this chapter is to emphasize the importance of ISO 14000 environmental management system standards in organizations and to evaluate its characteristics, implementation stages, and development. / Ilknur Sayan -- Besides financial indicators, investors started to utilize sustainability performances of companies in their decision making. / U. Zeynep Ata / Gozde Unal -- With this awareness and trend, the number of ESG data providers increased in the last decade after the global recession. / U. Zeynep Ata / Gozde Unal -- This chapter compares mainstream ESG providers with an emphasis on how they cover, provide, analyze, and disseminate these ratings that are invaluable for investors. / U. Zeynep Ata / Gozde Unal -- The impact of sustainable supply chain practices on the ESG indicators and its consequent effect on the investor is also discussed. / U. Zeynep Ata / Gozde Unal -- This study compares the issues and indicators covered by major ESG providers, and link them to sustainable supply chain measures. / U. Zeynep Ata / Gozde Unal -- The synergetic and symbiotic relationship between responsible investment and sustainable supply chain management is called to attention. / U. Zeynep Ata / Gozde Unal -- This chapter aims to analyze the financial and economic effects on green supply chain management of the food and beverages industry. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- For the research purpose, the fuzzy DEMATEL and fuzzy MOORA methods are used for the integrated model construction. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- The main stages of the green supply chain are considered as the dimensions and the selected performance measures are listed as a set of criteria for each dimension. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- Accordingly, 21 food and beverage companies listed in Istanbul Stock Exchange (BIST) are employed to measure the performance of green supply chain processes. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- It is concluded that low pollution is the most important criterion whereas alternatives has the least weight. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- Reverse logistic is also second most significant criterion which means that these companies give importance to reduce their costs. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk --, Contents note continued: It is also found out that there is not a certain correlation between green supply chain management performances with the profitability of the firms. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- However, it can be seen that bigger firms have higher green supply chain management performance than the smaller firms. / Hasan Dincer / Serhat Yuksel / Tuba Bozaykut-Buk -- Companies have to deter many remarkable problems on a daily basis. / Rania Tegou -- The existence of excess inventories and stock out events as well the usage of emergency deliveries are three indicative prominent subjects for discussion. / Rania Tegou -- Firms try to comprehend the consumer's desires in order to enhance costumer experience. / Rania Tegou -- In the current chapter, sales data of one tangible product from a well-known Greek retailing company are used. / Rania Tegou -- These data are analyzed in order to forecast the behavior of the demand. / Rania Tegou -- The author adapts an alternative approach for managing inventory during cycles with different levels of demand in order to develop a system that minimizes both excessive inventories and stock out events. / Rania Tegou -- Additional experiments take place regarding the parameterization of emergency deliveries in order to configure whether their usage is beneficial. / Rania Tegou -- Both an error analysis model and a simulation model are developed so as to determine the results of the aforementioned action. / Rania Tegou -- Recent scientific researches show that human influence on climate change due to the use of conventional energy is continuously affecting the world. / Esin Okay -- By all means, conventional energy sources destruct the earth, living standards of environment, and health leading to unnecessary risks and high costs. / Esin Okay -- Therefore, nations focus to find new solutions of renewable energy sources which are clean, healthful, smart, and affordable. / Esin Okay -- This chapter explores one of the new forms of smart energy management systems for heating called "heat pump" and its development in Turkey. / Esin Okay -- Heat pumps offer smart heating solutions for buildings that lower the imported energy costs in the economies. / Esin Okay -- The study shows that as Turkey facing severe financial burdens, major factors still act against the progress of renewable energy investments and energy efficiency solutions. / Esin Okay -- However, efforts to improve energy saving investments like heat pumps could be promising for cheap and smart energy source, if only Turkey sticks to a sound action plan developing public awareness and education. / Esin Okay -- This chapter depicts a picture of sustainable warehousing from the perspective of the time-phased impact of warehouses on economic, environmental, and social dimensions of sustainability. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- The authors present sustainability issues in warehouses within three levels: macro, meso, and micro. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- In the macro level, they review the effect of warehouse location and construction on sustainability. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- In the meso level, they discuss how to deal with warehouse layout problem, the effects of aisle, and material handling equipment choices on sustainability. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- Last, they briefly present what warehouse managers can do for sustainable warehousing in a short amount of time. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- Hence, the authors aim to provide a holistic approach to make warehouses sustainable. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- Last but not the least, they also present supportive and strengthening theoretical and practical studies to resolve barriers in front of sustainable warehousing. / Omer Ozturkoglu -- Drinking water quality management has been a key element of primary prevention and control of waterborne diseases for a long time. / Hakan Naim Ardor / Mustafa Necat Coskun, / Ertugrul Dizdar / Cagan Dizdar / Anna Kujumdzieva / Seniha Alev Soylemez / Gamze Yucel Isildar / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Fehiman Ciner / Christian M. Stracke / Altan Dizdar -- This chapter is based on the EU Project "Implementation of ECVET for Qualification Design in Drinking Water Treatment Plants and Sanitation for Pure Drinkable Water-PUREH2O" that contributes to the recognition and transparency of qualifications at the EU level and provides an innovative model for competencies for the potable water [ect.] / Fehiman Ciner / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Christian M. Stracke / Anna Kujumdzieva / Cagan Dizdar / Ertugrul Dizdar / Mustafa Necat Coskun, / Hakan Naim Ardor / Seniha Alev Soylemez / Gamze Yucel Isildar / Altan Dizdar -- The main dilemma that PURE-H2O intends to tackle is the lack of mutual recognition of qualification that is often impaired by national restrictions by applying EUROPASS, European/National Qualification Framework (EQF/NQF), and the European Credit System for Vocational Education and Training (ECVET) [ect.] / Fehiman Ciner / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Christian M. Stracke / Anna Kujumdzieva / Cagan Dizdar / Ertugrul Dizdar / Mustafa Necat Coskun, / Hakan Naim Ardor / Seniha Alev Soylemez / Gamze Yucel Isildar / Altan Dizdar -- The aim of the project is to enhance the quality and performance of VET system improving education in drinking water supply and development. / Fehiman Ciner / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Altan Dizdar / Gamze Yucel Isildar / Seniha Alev Soylemez / Christian M. Stracke / Mustafa Necat Coskun, / Ertugrul Dizdar / Cagan Dizdar / Anna Kujumdzieva / Hakan Naim Ardor -- This project could also be achieved through promoting creativity, innovation, and transfer of EQF/NQF principles in education of the main target group in the sector. / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Altan Dizdar / Gamze Yucel Isildar / Seniha Alev Soylemez / Hakan Naim Ardor / Mustafa Necat Coskun, / Ertugrul Dizdar / Cagan Dizdar / Anna Kujumdzieva / Christian M. Stracke / Fehiman Ciner -- Coal, as a fossil fuel, is used to generate power for industrial operation. / Ahmet Bilgil / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Baki Ozturk -- Two types of industrial ash, including fly and bottom ash, which are solid residues arising from coal burning, are dumped to the landfill with no care for reuse. / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Baki Ozturk / Ahmet Bilgil -- These wastes consist of environmental issues needing to be resolved. / Baki Ozturk / Ahmet Bilgil / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur -- The ashes are used in the production of cement, concrete, aggregates, adobe, brick, and insulation material, in the construction of dam and road, and in geotechnical applications. / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Baki Ozturk / Ahmet Bilgil -- Construction material is a form of cementitious materials based on ash as source material and it is an environmentally friendly choice against Portland cement releasing a large amount of greenhouse gas to the atmosphere during energy intensive manufacturing process. / Ahmet Bilgil / Baki Ozturk / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur -- It is a good alternative to the solution of environmental problems based on the waste ashes in the international scale. / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Ahmet Bilgil / Baki Ozturk -- In addition to its economic benefits, it is suitable for industrial symbiosis. / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur / Baki Ozturk / Ahmet Bilgil -- This chapter explores the reusability of ashes for the building sector to strengthen the sustainability of waste management. / Baki Ozturk / Ahmet Bilgil / Neslihan Dogan-Saglamtimur -- This chapter promotes a selection of works collected that seek to analyze the need and the evolution of reverse logistics into the context of the National Policy on Solid Waste in Brazil. / Hermes de Andrade Junior -- Nineteen years of intensive discussion have been held until the legal framework for the implementation of Agenda 21 of 1992 on the environmentally sound management of solid waste could be announced. / Hermes de Andrade Junior -- The principle of shared responsibility for the product lifecycle, which reaches manufacturers, importers, distributors and traders, consumers, and holders of public solid waste management services, is the central theme of the law and undoubtedly innovates on the issue, placing Brazil alongside countries such as those of the European Union and [ect.] / Hermes de Andrade Junior -- However, a serious problem that distances them is to achieve large population densities with the benefit of municipalization of the process of control of urban waste. / Hermes de Andrade Junior -- The rate of effective management of solid wastes is relatively low at the municipal level compared to the countries mentioned. / Hermes de Andrade Junior -- Consumers mostly prefer Internet for reasons such as accessing product immediately, convenience, time saving. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- However buying products without observing physically causes some troubles. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- This situation results in return of the purchased product. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- The return process that is going to be experienced by the customer who wants to return or change his/her product is important for the companies. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- Managing return process without troubles is going to affect loyalty, satisfaction, revisiting, repurchasing, consumers messages, which are going to be get across to his/her environment. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- Because of these reasons, it is imperative for the companies to pay attention to the reverse logistic activities that they will undertake for the end consumers. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- The aim of this chapter is to indicate the importance of reverse logistics in e-retailing. / Senem Ergan / Ayse Akyol -- The aim of this chapter is to understand what is being reported in sustainability reports, specifically on labor practices. / Duygu Seckin-Halac / Tutku Seckin-Celik --, and Contents note continued: It examines which items, to what extent, are disclosed in sustainability reports with regard to employees. / Tutku Seckin-Celik / Duygu Seckin-Halac -- Using GRI guidelines, sustainability reports of Turkish banks are examined. / Tutku Seckin-Celik / Duygu Seckin-Halac -- The results of the content analysis show that the most focused indicators are related to workforce composition, training, and education, while the least focused indicators are related to suppliers' labor practices. / Tutku Seckin-Celik / Duygu Seckin-Halac -- The authors infer that although organizations are willing to be committed to sustainability, their efforts are still limited. / Duygu Seckin-Halac / Tutku Seckin-Celik -- In addition, organizations in the sample seem to be dedicated to sustainability in order to conform to the regulations and reduce risks for investors in this stage. / Duygu Seckin-Halac / Tutku Seckin-Celik -- The impact of globalization and technological advancements on businesses is increasing, making innovation and differentiation essential for survival in competitive markets. / Aysu Gocer / Fatmanur, Avar -- Branding is a useful tool for business differentiation, which can be achieved by a strong brand personality. / Fatmanur, Avar / Aysu Gocer -- Sustainability, as a strategy integrated with branding, offers the opportunity to gain competitive advantage. / Fatmanur, Avar / Aysu Gocer -- Associating sustainability practices with brand personality and integrating them into the brand is important, especially for business-to-business (B2B) brands. / Fatmanur, Avar / Aysu Gocer -- However, research on B2B branding is still scarce. / Aysu Gocer / Fatmanur, Avar -- Drawing on the tenets of social identity theory, this chapter explains brand personality traits from a sustainability perspective for B2B brands. / Fatmanur, Avar / Aysu Gocer -- Based on a series of qualitative and quantitative studies, brand personality traits are identified for B2B markets concerning the environmental, social, and economic pillars of sustainability. / Fatmanur, Avar / Aysu Gocer -- This analysis will support B2B managers aiming to promote an image of sustainability for their brands in an increasingly competitive industrial market. / Fatmanur, Avar / Aysu Gocer -- In this chapter, the authors analyze the validity of unemployment hysteresis for G-20 countries, namely Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Russia, South Africa, Turkey, United Kingdom, and USA for the 1960-2014 period. / Veli Yilanci / Mahmut Unsal Sasmaz -- For this purpose, they examine the stationarity of the unemployment rates by using ADF unit root test and Fourier ADF (FADF) unit root tests. / Veli Yilanci / Mahmut Unsal Sasmaz -- FADF unit root test is a recently introduced test whose power is not affected by the number, location, and form of the breaks. / Mahmut Unsal Sasmaz / Veli Yilanci -- The results of the tests show that the unemployment hysteresis is valid for some of the countries. / Veli Yilanci / Mahmut Unsal Sasmaz.
- "This book focuses on ethics and sustainability as it relates to managing a global supply chain. It also sheds light on ethical and sustainable supply chain management with respect to global supply chains by using cases, qualitative studies, literature reviews, empirical results and analysis of legal frameworks"--
- 9781522557586 (electronic bk.) and 152255758X (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the John D. Vairo Libraries Endowment; 2017
View MARC record | catkey: 23121694