Champion : the comeback tale of the American chestnut tree / Sally M. Walker
- Walker, Sally M.
- Additional Titles:
- Comeback tale of the American chestnut tree
- New York : Henry Holt and Company, 2018.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 136 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color), maps ; 24 cm
- Disaster! -- A forest giant -- Seeking the source -- An eyebrow-raising discovery -- Midwestern survivors -- It's in the genes -- High-tech armor -- Restoration.
- "The story of the near-extinction and recovery of the American Chestnut tree."--
American Chestnut trees were once plentiful in North America's eastern forests. They towered up to one hundred feet tall, providing food and shelter for people and animals alike. To many, life without the chestnut was unimaginable - until disaster struck in the early 1900s. What began in the bark of a few trees soon became an unstoppable killing force, traveling across hundreds of miles and leaving dead chestnut trees in its wake. An unknown blight was wiping out the American chestnut, and scientists felt powerless to prevent it. But the story doesn't end there. Today, the American chestnut is making it comeback, telling a tale of loss and restoration, and of the triumph of human ingenuity. Narrative-nonfiction master Sally M. Walker delves into the natural world with this beautifully photographed middle-grade book. -- From dust jacket.
- American chestnut—Juvenile literature
- Chestnut blight—Juvenile literature
- Trees—Diseases and pests—Control—Juvenile literature
- American chestnut
- Chestnut blight
- Trees—Diseases and pests—Control
- JUVENILE NONFICTION—Science & Nature—Environmental Conservation & Protection
- JUVENILE NONFICTION—Science & Nature—Trees & Forests
- Illustrated children's books
- 9781250125231 (hardcover)
- Educational level group:: Sixth grade students
Educational level group:: Seventh grade students
Educational level group:: Eighth grade students
Educational level group:: Middle school students
Age group:: Preteens
- Interest Age:
- Ages 10-14.
- Audience Notes:
- 1070L Lexile
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23171407