Rothko : the color field paintings / foreword by Christopher Rothko ; essay by Janet Bishop ; picture editor, Jenny Moussa Spring
- Foreword: Color, form, and drama / by Christopher Rothko -- Mark Rothko: slow looking / by Janet Bishop -- The color field paintings.
- Mark Rothko's iconic paintings are some of the most profound works of twentieth-century Abstract Expressionism. This collection presents fifty large-scale artworks from the American master's color field period (1949-1970) alongside essays by Rothko's son, Christopher Rothko, and San Francisco Museum of Modern Art curator of painting and sculpture Janet Bishop. Featuring illuminating details about Rothko's life, influences, and legacy, and brimming with the emotional power and expressive color of his groundbreaking canvases, this essential volume brings the renowned artist's luminous work to light for both longtime Rothko fans and those discovering his work for the very first time.
- 9781452156590 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 117).
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and International Affairs; 2018
View MARC record | catkey: 23173301