- Introduction: "coming round" again / Peter Mark -- Mountains in Italian Renaissance depictions of "The sacrifice of Isaac" / Penny Snyder -- Analyzing Frederic Church's The heart of the Andes with Joseph Addison's neoclassical and prototypical theory of artistic criticism / Matthew Kim -- Wordsworth's Alps / Elizabeth Deatrick -- John Ruskin, Turner, and the romantic pursuit of truth / Avery Chase -- The power of the sublime in the mountains / Page Nelson -- The intersection of alpine passes and landscape painting / Gordon Pignato -- Terrible beauty: artistic representations of the white mountains in the nineteenth century / Peter Helman -- Thanatopsis: a vision of change in nineteenth century America / Penny Snyder -- The South American mountains of Alexander von Humboldt and Frederic Edwin Church / Elizabeth Deatrick -- From postcards to watercolors: Emil Nolde (1867-1956) and the medium of the mountains / William Wiebe -- Arnold Fanck and German Bergfilm / Jackson Sabes -- This wild country: Jack Kerouac's The Dharma bums and the mountains / Catherine Walsh -- King Ortler; Climbing as experience, a photo essay / Peter Mark.
- The Mountains in Art History' is the first English-language work to focus on the mountains as subject matter and source of aesthetic and spiritual inspiration for painters. This collection of original essays is written entirely by Wesleyan University students of art history. The essays examine how artistic representation of mountains has varied through the lens of specific depictions in English and American literature, and consider how images of mountains functioned in conjunction with religion, the sublime, and Romanticism. These essays by student authors adeptly ruminate on works by individuals such as William Wordsworth, John Frederick Kensett, Alexander van Humboldt, Emil Nolde, and Arnold Fanck. Includes an introduction by professor Peter Mark and a helpful appendix of the course syllabus and narrative description.
- 9780819577290 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
0819577294 (paperback ; alkaline paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Roy Laurens Bovard Renaissance Fund; 2017
View MARC record | catkey: 23173314