Music, language, and cognition [electronic resource] : and other essays in the aesthetics of music / Peter Kivy
- Kivy, Peter
- Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 243 p. : music ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- I. History. Mainwaring's Handel : its relation to British aesthetics -- Herbert Spencer and a musical dispute -- II. Opera and film. Handel's operas : the form of feeling and the problem of appreciation -- Anti-semitism in Meistersinger? -- Speech, song, and the transparency of medium : on operatic metaphysics -- III. Performance. On the historically informed performance -- Ars perfecta : toward perfection in musical performance? -- IV. Interpretation. Another go at the meaning of music : Koopman, Davies, and the meaning of "meaning" -- Another go at musical profundity : Stephen Davies and the game of chess -- From ideology to music : Leonard Meyer's theory of style change -- Sibley's last paper -- In defense of musical representation : music, representation, and the hybrid arts -- Music, language, and cognition : which doesn't belong?
- 0199217661 (alk. paper)
0199217653 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9780199217663 (alk. paper)
9780199217656 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -237) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23179382