Social movements and the state / edited by Ghanshyam Shah
- Thousand Oaks, CA : Sage Publications, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- 475 pages ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Shah, Ghanshyam
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Readings in Indian government and politics ; 4
- Introduction / Ghanshyam Shah -- Nine theses on social movements / Andre Gunder Frank and Marta Fuentes -- Cyclical movement towards the "eternal"--"Nine theses of social movements," a critique / D.N. Dhanagare and J. John -- Masses, classes and the state / Rajni Kothari -- Social origins of the peasant insurrection in Telengana, 1946-1951 / D.N. Dhanagare -- Naxalbari and the Left movement / Sumanta Banerjee -- Farmers' movements in contemporary India / Dipankar Gupta -- Organized labour and militant unionism : the Bombay textile workers' strike of 1982 / Salim Lakha -- Tribal solidarity movements in India : a review / Surajit Sinha -- Tribal autonomy movements in Chhotanagpur / K.S. Singh -- Ambedkar and after : the Dalit movement in India / Gail Omvedt -- Taking stock : women's movement and the state / Lakshmi Lingam -- Direct action in India : a study of Gujarat and Bihar agitations / Ghanshyam Shah -- Little nationalism turned chauvinist : Assam's anti-foreigner upsurge, 1979-80 / Amalendu Guha -- "God must be liberated" : a Hindu liberation movement in Ayodhya / Peter van der Veer -- Chipko : social history of an "environmental" movement / Ramachandra Guha.
- 0761995137, 0761995145 (pbk.), 8178290235 (India-hbk.), and 8178290243 (India-pbk.)
- A collection of 16 articles previously published between 1972 and 2001.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2330642