Hoofbeats, claws & rippled fins : creature poems / edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins ; art by Stephen Alcorn
- Ruby / Lee Bennett Hopkins -- In and out / Karla Kuskin -- Rooster / Ralph Fletcher -- Night hunter / Prince Redcloud -- Here's Frog / Kristine O'Connell George -- Easy living / Beverly McLoughland -- Iguana / Tony Johnston -- She likes to hide / Janet S. Wong -- Camel / Lillian M. Fisher -- Triassic triumph / Avis Harley -- Anteater / Alice Schertle -- Porcupine / Rebecca Kai Dotlich -- Buffalo / Joseph Bruchac -- Full moon and owl / Ann Whitford Paul.
- Inspired by Stephen Alcorn's magnificent animal portraits, popular poet and noted anthologist Lee Bennett Hopkins commissioned thirteen poets to craft verses to match the eloquence of this art. The resulting celebration of art and nature captures the subtle intensity and striking textures of a renowned artist's relief-block prints in a unique homage to the power, mystery, and beauty of the natural world. Lee Bennett Hopkins and Stephen Alcorn's first poetry anthology, My America: A Poetry Atlas of the United States, was honored as one of the best books of 2000 by School Library Journal, the American Booksellers Association, and the New York Public Library. A Junior Library Guild Selection, the book inspired an entire Reading Rainbow program devoted exclusively to it.
0688179436 (lib. bdg.)
9780688179434 (lib. bdg.)
- Lee Bennett Hopkins Collection.
- Rare Books copy: (1st printing); trade hardcover in original dust jacket; formerly owned by Lee Bennett Hopkins.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Gift of Lee Bennett Hopkins.
- Related Materials:
- Forms part of the Lee Bennett Hopkins papers (09945).
View MARC record | catkey: 2335662