The anti-rent era in New York law and politics, 1839-1865 / Charles W. McCurdy
- McCurdy, Charles W., 1948-
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, 
[Getzville, New York] : William S. Hein & Company, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvii, 408 pages) : maps
- Studies in legal history
HeinOnline legal classics library
HeinOnline UNC Press law publications
HeinOnline New York legal research library
- Governor Seward and the manor of Rensselaerwyck -- A Whig in the state house -- The patroon's domain -- The Helderberg war -- Land law and the law of the land -- Whig reconnaissance -- Public purposes in party dialogue -- The Wheaton bill -- Land reform and Whig constitutionalism -- The making of the Manor Commission -- The politics of evasion -- Portents of failure -- The debacle in Albany -- Anti-rent revived -- The compromise of 1841 -- The trouble with Democrats -- Whig "fallacies"--Democratic solutions -- Bargain theory in the Jacksonian persuasion -- Debtors and tenants before the legislature -- Anti-rent transformed -- Depression-era constitutionalism -- Tightening the right-remedy distinction -- Due process and the eminent domain power -- Judicial review in a democracy -- The logic of constitutional reform -- Signs of war -- Petitions and partisanship -- Land reform and democratic constitutionalism -- Texas and the reorientation of parties -- The luxuriation of anti-rent -- Resistance and reform -- The election of 1844 -- Bloodshed -- Mixed reactions -- Stalemate -- Political crossroads -- The Washington-Albany connection -- Dilemmas for the democracy -- Land reform and constitutional reform -- Partisan mediators of anti-rent decisions -- A cacophony of voices -- The "new constitution" -- Schism -- The rout of the "Indians" -- Whig recriminations -- The no-compromise persuasion -- Democratic futility -- Land reform at the shrine of party -- Political fratricide -- The anti-rent measures -- A sinking ship.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23436247