The middle kingdom : a survey of the geography, government, education, social life, arts, religion, &c., of the Chinese Empire and its inhabitants : with a new map of the empire, and illustrations, principally engraved by J.W. Orr / by S. Wells Williams
- Williams, S. Wells (Samuel Wells), 1812-1884
- New York : George Palmer Putnam, 1848. and [Buffalo, New York] : William S. Hein & Co., [between 2009 and 2013]
- 3rd edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (2 volumes) : illustrations, portraits, map
- HeinOnline world constitutions illustrated
- v. 1. General divisions and features of the empire -- Geographical description of the eastern provinces -- Geographical description of the western provinces -- Geographical description of colonies -- Population and statistics -- Natural history of China -- Laws of China and plan of government -- Administration of the laws -- Education and literary examinations -- Structure of the Chinese language -- Classical literature of the Chinese -- Polite literature of the Chinese -- v. 2. Architecture, dress, and diet of the Chinese -- Social life among the Chinese -- Industrial arts of the Chinese -- Science of the Chinese -- History and chronology of China -- Religion of the Chinese -- Christian missions among the Chinese -- Commerce of the Chinese -- Foreign intercourse with China -- Origin of the war with England -- Progress of the war and opening of China.
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23466211