Descriptive catalogue of photographs of North American Indians / by W.H. Jackson, photographer of the survey
- Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942
- Washington : U.S. Government Printing Office, 1877. and [Buffalo, New York] : William S. Hein & Co., 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (vi, 124 pages).
- Miscellaneous publications / Department of the Interior, United States Geological Survey of the Territories ; no. 9, and HeinOnline Indigenous peoples of the Americas: history, culture & law
- List of families, tribes, and bands -- History of families, tribes, and individuals -- Numerical index.
- This descriptive catalog is intended to systematize the collection of photographic portraits of Indians now in the possession of the United States Geological Survey of the Territories, and to place on record all the information obtained of the various individuals and scenes represented. It is of course far from complete; but it is a beginning, and every new fact that comes to light will be added to what has already been secured. This information has been gathered from many sources, principally from Indian delegates visiting Washington, and by correspondence with agents and others living in the Indian country., Particular attention has been paid to proving the authenticity of the portraits of the various individuals represented, and it is believed that few, if any, mistakes occur in that respect., and All the photographs are numbered, and as these numbers do not occur in regular order. In the text a Numerical Index is appended, by means of which the name of any picture, and the page on which the subject is treated, may be found.
- F.V. Hayden, U.S. Geologist.
View MARC record | catkey: 23476464