InteGO2 [electronic resource] : A web tool for measuring and visualizing gene semantic similarities using Gene Ontology
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 2,828 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Michigan State University
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Here, the Gene Ontology (GO) has been used in high-throughput omics research as a major bioinformatics resource. The hierarchical structure of GO provides users a convenient platform for biological information abstraction and hypothesis testing. Computational methods have been developed to identify functionally similar genes. However, none of the existing measurements take into account all the rich information in GO. Similarly, using these existing methods, web-based applications have been constructed to compute gene functional similarities, and to provide pure text-based outputs. Without a graphical visualization interface, it is difficult for result interpretation. As a result, we present <i>InteGO2</i>, a web tool that allows researchers to calculate the GO-based gene semantic similarities using seven widely used GO-based similarity measurements. Also, we provide an integrative measurement that synergistically integrates all the individual measurements to improve the overall performance. Using HTML5 and cytoscape.js, we provide a graphical interface in <i>InteGO2</i> to visualize the resulting gene functional association networks. In conclusion, <i>InteGO2</i> is an easy-to-use HTML5 based web tool. With it, researchers can measure gene or gene product functional similarity conveniently, and visualize the network of functional interactions in a graphical interface.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
BMC Genomics 17 S5 ISSN 1471-2164 AM
Jiajie Peng; Hongxiang Li; Yongzhuang Liu; Liran Juan; Qinghua Jiang; Yadong Wang; Jin Chen.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23493350