Areal distribution of /sup 60/Co, /sup 137/Cs, and /sup 90/Sr in streambed gravels of White Oak Creek Watershed, Oak Ridge, Tennessee [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1981. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 75 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The concentrations of /sup 90/Sr, /sup 60/Co, and /sup 137/Cs in streambed gravels from contaminated drainages in White Oak Creek Watershed were determined. Methods to determine the relative contributions of various sources to the total discharge from the watershed were developed. Principal sources of /sup 90/Sr were: ORNL plant effluents (50%), leaching from solid waste disposal area (SWDA) 4 (30%), and leaching from SWDA 5 (10%). Minor sources included SWDA 3, the Molten Salt Reactor Facility, and intermediate-level liquid waste pit 1 with each representing 4% or less of the total basin discharge. The cooling water effluent from the High-Flux Isotope Reactor was the dominant source of /sup 60/Co contamination in the watershed. ORNL plant effluents accounted for almost all the /sup 137/Cs discharge from White Oak Creek basin. Downstream radionuclide concentrations were constant until significant dilution by other tributaries occurred. Any future activities giving rise to additional contamination can now be identified. Distribution coefficients between streambed gravels and streamwater for /sup 85/Sr, /sup 60/Co, and /sup 137/Cs were 50, 560, and 8460 ml/g, respectively. An abridged radiochemical fractionation developed for /sup 90/Sr was found to be as accurate and precise for these samples as the standard /sup 90/Sr method above levels of 2 dpm/g. (ERB)
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1981., "ornl/tm-7318", and Cerling, T.E.; Spalding, B.P.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23494459