Discovery of the Lensed Quasar System DES J0408-5354 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2017.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers L15 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We report the discovery and spectroscopic con rmation of the quad-like lensed quasar system DES J0408-5354 found in the Dark Energy Survey (DES) Year 1 (Y1) data. This system was discovered during a search for DES Y1 strong lensing systems using a method that identi ed candidates as red galaxies with multiple blue neighbors. DES J0408-5354 consists of a central red galaxy surrounded by three bright (i < 20) blue objects and a fourth red object. Subsequent spectroscopic observations using the Gemini South telescope con rmed that the three blue objects are indeed the lensed images of a quasar with redshift z = 2:375, and that the central red object is an early-type lensing galaxy with redshift z = 0:597. DES J0408-5354 is the rst quad lensed quasar system to be found in DES and begins to demonstrate the potential of DES to discover and dramatically increase the sample size of these very rare objects.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:1360907
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
The Astrophysical Journal. Letters 838 2 ISSN 2041-8213 AM
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23494892