Testing hadronic interactions at ultrahigh energies with air showers measured by the Pierre Auger Observatory [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. High Energy Physics Division, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 192,001 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. High Energy Physics Division, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Ultrahigh energy cosmic ray air showers probe particle physics at energies beyond the reach of accelerators. Here we introduce a new method to test hadronic interaction models without relying on the absolute energy calibration, and apply it to events with primary energy 6–16 EeV (ECM = 110–170 TeV), whose longitudinal development and lateral distribution were simultaneously measured by the Pierre Auger Observatory. As a result, the average hadronic shower is 1.33±0.16 (1.61±0.21) times larger than predicted using the leading LHC-tuned models EPOS-LHC (QGSJetII-04), with a corresponding excess of muons.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:fermilab-pub--16-504-ad-ae-cd-td
E 1.99: arxiv:1610.08509
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Physical Review Letters 117 19 ISSN 0031-9007; PRLTAO AM
Aab, A.; Abreu, P.; Aglietta, M.; Ahn, E.; Al Samarai, I.; Albuquerque, I.; Allekotte, I.; Allen, J.; Allison, P.; Almela, A.; Alvarez Castillo, J.; Alvarez-Muñiz, J.; Ambrosio, M.; Anastasi, G.; Anchordoqui, L.; Andrada, B.; Andringa, S.; Aramo, C.; Arqueros, F.; Arsene, N.; Asorey, H.; Assis, P.; Aublin, J.; Avila, G.; Badescu, A.; et al.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23495055