Crowdsourcing quality control for Dark Energy Survey images [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. High Energy Physics Division, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 99-108 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. High Energy Physics Division
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- We have developed a crowdsourcing web application for image quality control employed by the Dark Energy Survey. Dubbed the “DES exposure checker”, it renders science-grade images directly to a web browser and allows users to mark problematic features from a set of predefined classes. Users can also generate custom labels and thus help identify previously unknown problem classes. User reports are fed back to hardware and software experts to help mitigate and eliminate recognized issues. We report on the implementation of the application and our experience with its over 100 users, the majority of which are professional or prospective astronomers but not data management experts. We discuss aspects of user training and engagement, and demonstrate how problem reports have been pivotal to rapidly correct artifacts which would likely have been too subtle or infrequent to be recognized otherwise. Finally, we conclude with a number of important lessons learned, suggest possible improvements, and recommend this collective exploratory approach for future astronomical surveys or other extensive data sets with a su ciently large user base.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Astronomy and Computing 16 C ISSN 2213-1337 AM
P. Melchior; E. Sheldon; A. Drlica-Wagner; E. S. Rykoff; T. M. C. Abbott; F. B. Abdalla; S. Allam; A. Benoit-Lévy; D. Brooks; E. Buckley-Geer; A. Carnero Rosell; M. Carrasco Kind; J. Carretero; M. Crocce; C. B. D’Andrea; L. N. da Costa; S. Desai; P. Doel; A. E. Evrard; D. A. Finley; B. Flaugher; J. Frieman; E. Gaztanaga; D. W. Gerdes; D. Gruen; et al.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23495638