The high-energy <i>γ</i> -ray emission of AP Librae [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2014.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers A31 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- In this paper, the γ-ray spectrum of the low-frequency-peaked BL Lac (LBL) object AP Librae is studied, following the discovery of very-high-energy (VHE; E> 100 GeV) γ-ray emission up to the TeV range by the H.E.S.S. experiment. This makes AP Librae one of the few VHE emitters of the LBL type. The measured spectrum yields a flux of (8.8 ± 1.5<sub>stat</sub> ± 1.8<sub>sys</sub>) × 10<sup>-12</sup> cm<sup>-2</sup> s<sup>-1</sup> above 130 GeV and a spectral index of Γ = 2.65 ± 0.19<sub>stat</sub> ± 0.20<sub>sys</sub>. This study also makes use of Fermi-LAT observations in the high energy (HE, E> 100 MeV) range, providing the longest continuous light curve (5 years) ever published on this source. The source underwent a flaring event between MJD 56 306–56 376 in the HE range, with a flux increase of a factor of 3.5 in the 14 day bin light curve and no significant variation in spectral shape with respect to the low-flux state. While the H.E.S.S. and (low state) Fermi-LAT fluxes are in good agreement where they overlap, a spectral curvature between the steep VHE spectrum and the Fermi-LAT spectrum is observed. Finally, the maximum of the γ-ray emission in the spectral energy distribution is located below the GeV energy range.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Astronomy and Astrophysics 573 ISSN 0004-6361 AM
Abramowski, A.; Aharonian, F.; Ait Benkhali, F.; Akhperjanian, A.; Angüner, E.; Anton, G.; Backes, M.; Balenderan, S.; Balzer, A.; Barnacka, A.; Becherini, Y.; Becker Tjus, J.; Bernlöhr, K.; Birsin, E.; Bissaldi, E.; Biteau, J.; Böttcher, M.; Boisson, C.; Bolmont, J.; Bordas, P.; Brucker, J.; Brun, F.; Brun, P.; Bulik, T.; Carrigan, S.; et al.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23496162