The 2012 flare of PG 1553+113 seen with H.E.S.S. and Fermi-LAT [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2015. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 65 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Very high energy (VHE, E > 100 GeV) γ-ray flaring activity of the high-frequency peaked BL Lac object PG 1553+113 has been detected by the H.E.S.S. telescopes. Also, the flux of the source increased by a factor of 3 during the nights of 2012 April 26 and 27 with respect to the archival measurements with a hint of intra-night variability. No counterpart of this event has been detected in the Fermi-Large Area Telescope data. This pattern is consistent with VHE γ-ray flaring being caused by the injection of ultrarelativistic particles, emitting γ-rays at the highest energies. The dataset offers a unique opportunity to constrain the redshift of this source at z = 0.49 ± 0.04 using a novel method based on Bayesian statistics. In addition, the indication of intra-night variability is used to introduce a novel method to probe for a possible Lorentz invariance violation (LIV), and to set limits on the energy scale at which Quantum Gravity (QG) effects causing LIV may arise. For the subluminal case, the derived limits are E<sub>QG,1</sub> > 4.10 × 10<sup>17</sup> GeV and E<sub>QG,2</sub> > 2.10 × 10<sup>10</sup> GeV for linear and quadratic LIV effects, respectively.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 03/24/2015., The Astrophysical Journal (Online) 802 1 ISSN 1538-4357 AM, and Abramowski, A.; Aharonian, F.; Benkhali, F.; Akhperjanian, A.; Angüner, E.; Backes, M.; Balenderan, S.; Balzer, A.; Barnacka, A.; Becherini, Y.; Tjus, J.; Berge, D.; Bernhard, S.; Bernlöhr, K.; Birsin, E.; Biteau, J.; Böttcher, M.; Boisson, C.; Bolmont, J.; Bordas, P.; Bregeon, J.; Brun, F.; Brun, P.; Bryan, M.; Bulik, T.; et al.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23496237