Alfvenic turbulence generated by the interstellar pickup protons in the outer heliosphere [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science, 2013. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 171-174 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Here a self-consistent model of the interstellar pickup protons, slab component of the Alfvénic turbulence, and core solar wind protons is presented for r ≤ 1 AU along with the initial results and comparison with the Voyager 2 (V2) observations. A fraction of the pickup proton free energy, f<sub>D</sub>, which is actually released in the wave form during isotropization, is taken from the quasi-linear consideration without preexisting turbulence. Whereas we use observations to specify a strength of the large scale driving, C<sub>sh</sub>, for turbulence. Our results show that for C<sub>sh</sub> ≈ 1 - 1.5 and f<sub>D</sub> ≈ 0.7 - 1, the model slab component agrees well with the V2 observations of the total transverse magnetic fluctuations starting from ~8 AU. Finally, this finding agrees with the result by Oughton et al.  where they also showed that the slab component dominates the two-dimensional component at the heliocentric distances beyond ~ 10 AU. So it is likely that the slab component at low-latitudes makes up a majority of the transverse magnetic fluctuations beyond 8 - 10 AU.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/13/2013., AIP Conference Proceedings 1539 1 ISSN 0094-243X AM, SOLAR WIND 13: Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Solar Wind Conference., Big Island, HI (United States), 17-22 Jun 2012., K. Gamayunov; M. Zhang; N. Pogorelov; J. Heerikhuisen; H. Rassoul., and Univ. of Alabama, Huntsville, AL (United States)
- Funding Information:
- SC0008334, NNX09AG29G, NNX09AB24G, NNX09AG63G, NNX12AB30G, AGS-1156056, and AGS-1203516
View MARC record | catkey: 23496411