Detection of the energetic pulsar PSR B1509–58 and its pulsar wind nebula in MSH 15–52 using the FERMI-large area telescope [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2010.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 927-936 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Here, we report the detection of high-energy γ-ray emission from the young and energetic pulsar PSR B1509 – 58 and its pulsar wind nebula (PWN) in the composite supernova remnant G320.4 – 1.2 (aka MSH 15 – 52). Using 1 yr of survey data with the Fermi-Large Area Telescope (LAT), we detected pulsations from PSR B1509 – 58 up to 1 GeV and extended γ-ray emission above 1 GeV spatially coincident with the PWN. The pulsar light curve presents two peaks offset from the radio peak by phases 0.96 ± 0.01 and 0.33 ± 0.02. New constraining upper limits on the pulsar emission are derived below 1 GeV and confirm a severe spectral break at a few tens of MeV. The nebular spectrum in the 1-100 GeV energy range is well described by a power law with a spectral index of (1.57 ± 0.17 ± 0.13) and a flux above 1 GeV of (2.91 ± 0.79 ± 1.35) × 10–9 cm–2 s–1. Finally, the first errors represent the statistical errors on the fit parameters, while the second ones are the systematic uncertainties. The LAT spectrum of the nebula connects nicely with Cherenkov observations, and indicates a spectral break between GeV and TeV energies.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:1357561
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Astrophysical Journal 714 1 ISSN 0004-637X AM
Abdo, A.; Ackermann, M.; Ajello, M.; Allafort, A.; Asano, K.; Baldini, L.; Ballet, J.; Barbiellini, G.; Baring, M.; Bastieri, D.; Bechtol, K.; Bellazzini, R.; Berenji, B.; Blandford, R.; Bloom, E.; Bonamente, E.; Borgland, A.; Bregeon, J.; Brez, A.; Brigida, M.; Bruel, P.; Buson, S.; Caliandro, G.; Cameron, R.; Camilo, F.; et al.
SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23496666