Mutation of the rice XA21 predicted nuclear localization sequence does not affect resistance to <i>Xanthomonas oryzae</i> pv. <i>oryzae</i> [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers e2,507 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Background: The rice receptor kinase XA21 confers robust resistance to the bacterial pathogen<i>Xanthomonas oryzae</i> pv.<i>oryzae</i>(<i>Xoo</i>). We previously reported that XA21 is cleaved in transgenic plants overexpressing XA21 with a GFP tag (<i>Ubi</i>-XA21-GFP) and that the released C-terminal domain is localized to the nucleus. XA21 carries a predicted nuclear localization sequence (NLS) that directs the C-terminal domain to the nucleus in transient assays, whereas alanine substitutions in the NLS disrupt the nuclear localization. Methods: To determine if the predicted NLS is required for XA21-mediated immunity<i>in planta</i>, we generated transgenic plants overexpressing an XA21 variant carrying the NLS with the same alanine substitutions (<i>Ubi</i>-XA21nls-GFP). Results: <i>Ubi-</i> XA21nls-GFP plants displayed slightly longer lesion lengths, higher<i>Xoo</i> bacterial populations after inoculation and lower levels of reactive oxygen species production compared with the <i>Ubi-</i> XA21-GFP control plants. However, the <i>Ubi-</i> XA21nls-GFP plants express lower levels of protein than that observed in<i>Ubi-</i> XA21-GFP. Discussion: These results demonstrate that the predicted NLS is not required for XA21-mediated immunity.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
PeerJ 4 10 ISSN 2167-8359 AM
Tong Wei; Tsung-Chi Chen; Yuen Ting Ho; Pamela C. Ronald.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23499204