Devils unto dust / Emma Berquist
- Berquist, Emma
- New York, NY : Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- First Edition.
- Physical Description:
- 488 pages ; 22 cm
- To protect her family, a young woman must brave the desert and a terrifying infected population in this gripping adventure that blends 'True Grit' with '28 Days Later.'
"Keep together. Keep your eyes open. Keep your wits about you. The desert is unkind in the best of times. And the decade since the Civil War has been anything but the best of times for Daisy Wilcox-- call her Willie-- and her family. This tense, heart-pounding alternate history about a young woman fighting to survive the unthinkable will keep fans of 'Westworld' and 'The Walking Dead' reading late into the night. A horrifying sickness has spread across the West Texas desert. Infected people-- shakes-- attack the living, and the surviving towns are only as safe as their perimeter walls are strong. The state is all but quarantined from the rest of the country. Glory, Texas, is a near ghost town. Still, seventeen-year-old Willie has managed to keep her siblings safe, even after the sickness took their mother. But then her good-for-nothing father steals a fortune from one of the most merciless shake hunters in town, and Willie is left on the hook for his debt. With two young hunters as guides, Willie sets out across the desert to find her father. And the desert holds more dangers than just shakes. This riveting debut novel blends 'True Grit' with '28 Days Later' for an unforgettable journey."--Amazon.com.
- Survival—Juvenile fiction
- Diseases—Juvenile fiction
- Deserts—Juvenile fiction
- Horror tales
- Texas—Juvenile fiction
- Horror stories
- YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Action & Adventure / Survival Stories
- YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Family / Siblings
- YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Westerns
- 9780062642783 (hardback)
- Age group: Early Adolescents
- "The desert claims everything in the end"--Dust jacket.
View MARC record | catkey: 23507187