Shadowing the white man's burden [electronic resource] : U.S. imperialism and the problem of the color line / Gretchen Murphy
- Murphy, Gretchen, 1971-
- New York : New York University Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 280 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- America and the long 19th century
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : writing race on the world's stage -- The burden of whiteness -- The white man's burden or the leopard's spots? Dixon's political conundrum -- The plain citizen of black orientalism : Frank R. Steward's Filipino-American war fiction -- Pauline Hopkins's "international policy" : cosmopolitan perspective at the Colored American magazine -- How the Irish became Japanese : Winnifred Eaton's transnational racial reconstructions -- American Indians, Asiatics, and Anglo-Saxons : Ranald MacDonald's Japan story of adventure.
- 9780814795989 (cl : alk. paper), 0814795986 (cl : alk. paper), 9780814795996 (pb : alk. paper), and 0814795994 (pb : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23510399