Buying time : debt and mobility in the western Indian Ocean / Thomas F. McDow
- McDow, Thomas F., 1970-
- Athens, Ohio : Ohio University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 364 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- New African histories
- Introduction: Buying time -- Drought and new mobilities in the Omani interior -- The customs masters and customs of credit in Zanzibar -- Sultans at sea : mobility and the Omani states -- Halwa and identity in the western Indian Ocean world -- Tippu Tip's kin, from Oman to the eastern Congo -- Freed slaves : manumission and mobility before 1873 -- Acts for consuls and consular acts : documents, manumission, and ocean travel after 1873 -- A dhow on Lake Victoria -- "Everything is pledged to its time" : Salih bin Ali, debt, and rebellion in the Omani interior -- Epilogue.
- Credit—Indian Ocean Region—History—19th century
- Credit—Africa, Eastern—History—19th century
- Civilization—Oriental influences
- Indian Ocean Region—Commerce—History—19th century
- Africa, Eastern—Commerce—History—19th century
- Africa, Eastern—Civilization—Oriental influences
- Africa, Eastern
- Indian Ocean Region
- 9780821422816 (hc ; alk. paper)
9780821422823 (pb ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 337-357) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23757321