Penta-Twinned Copper Nanorods [electronic resource] : Facile Synthesis via Seed-Mediated Growth and Their Tunable Plasmonic Properties
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, 2016. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 1,209-1,216 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- When seed-mediated growth is used as a versatile approach to the synthesis of penta-twinned Cu nanorods with uniform diameters and controllable aspect ratios is reported. The success of this approach relies on our recent synthesis of uniform Pd decahedra, with sizes in the range of 6–20 nm. The Pd decahedral seeds can direct the heterogeneous nucleation and growth of Cu along the fivefold axis to produce nanorods with uniform diameters defined by the lateral dimension of the original seeds. Due to a large mismatch in the lattice constants between Cu and Pd (7.1%), the deposited Cu is forced to grow along one side of the Pd decahedral seed, generating a nanorod with an asymmetric distribution of Cu, with the Pd seed situated at one of the two ends. According to extinction spectra, the as-obtained Cu nanorods can be stored in water under the ambient conditions for at least six months without noticeable degradation. The resulting stability allows us to systematically investigate the size-dependent surface plasmon resonance properties of the penta-twinned Cu nanorods. With the nanorod transverse modes positioned at 560 nm, the longitudinal modes can be readily tuned from the visible to the near-infrared region by controlling the aspect ratio.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/07/2016., "bnl--112086-2016-ja", "KC0201010", Advanced Functional Materials 26 8 ISSN 1616-301X AM, and Ming Luo; Aleksey Ruditskiy; Hsin-Chieh Peng; Tao, Jing; Legna Figueroa-Cosme; Zhike He; Younan Xia.
- Funding Information:
- SC00112704 and MA015MACA
View MARC record | catkey: 23758122