Coexistence of antiferromagnetic and ferromagnetic spin correlations in SrCo2As2 revealed by 59Co and 75As NMR [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, 2015. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 220,406 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Ames Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- In nonsuperconducting, metallic paramagnetic SrCo2As2, inelastic neutron scattering measurements have revealed strong stripe-type q=(π,0) antiferromagnetic (AFM) spin correlations. Using nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) measurements on 59Co and 75As nuclei, we demonstrate that stronger ferromagnetic (FM) spin correlations coexist in SrCo2As2. Our NMR data are consistent with density functional theory (DFT) calculations which show enhancements at both q=(π,0) and the in-plane FM q=0 wave vectors in static magnetic susceptibility χ(q). We suggest that the strong FM fluctuations prevent superconductivity in SrCo2As2, despite the presence of stripe-type AFM fluctuations. Since DFT calculations have consistently revealed similar enhancements of the χ(q) at both q=(π,0) and q=0 in the iron-based superconductors and parent compounds, our observation of FM correlations in SrCo2As2 calls for detailed studies of FM correlations in the iron-based superconductors.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/15/2015., "is-j--8697", Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter and Materials Physics 91 22 ISSN 1098-0121; PRBMDO AM, and Wiecki, P.; Ogloblichev, V.; Pandey, Abhishek; Johnston, D.; Furukawa, Y.
- Funding Information:
- AC02-07CH11358 and 15-02-02000
View MARC record | catkey: 23758429