Cooled electronic system with liquid-cooled cold plate and thermal spreader coupled to electronic component [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2016. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Apparatus and method are provided for facilitating cooling of an electronic component. The apparatus includes a liquid-cooled cold plate and a thermal spreader associated with the cold plate. The cold plate includes multiple coolant-carrying channel sections extending within the cold plate, and a thermal conduction surface with a larger surface area than a surface area of the component to be cooled. The thermal spreader includes one or more heat pipes including multiple heat pipe sections. One or more heat pipe sections are partially aligned to a first region of the cold plate, that is, where aligned to the surface to be cooled, and partially aligned to a second region of the cold plate, which is outside the first region. The one or more heat pipes facilitate distribution of heat from the electronic component to coolant-carrying channel sections of the cold plate located in the second region of the cold plate.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 08/09/2016., "9,414,523", "14/086,128", Timothy J. Chainer; David P. Graybill; Madhusudan K. Iyengar; Vinod Kamath; Bejoy J. Kochuparambil; Roger R. Schmidt; Mark E. Steinke., and INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES CORPORATION, Armonk, NY (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23761003