Application of resource allocation models to the problems of regional energy policy in large developing coutries [electronic resource].
- Upton, N.Y. : Brookhaven National Laboratory, 1979. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 35 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The interregional allocation of, and competition for, natural resources for energy development is assuming increasing importance in many large developing countries, particularly in countries such as India that are in the more advanced stages of industrialization, and where state governments and regional agencies have significant planning powers. This paper explores the applicability of optimal resource allocation models designed primarily for already-developed economies, such as that of the U.S., Canada, and Western Europe, to the emerging problems of such developing countries. In particular, the potential application of electric-utility-siting models is discussed in the context of electric grid expansion in the State of Andhra Pradesh in Southern India. Specific topics addressed include the degree to which models can be effectively used in the rather different conditions and priorities of industrializing countries; the requirements for basic-model reformulations to account for unique factors of geography (climate, hyydrology, the extant conditions of the infrastructure within which any development must occur); and the ability to include and quantify environmental impacts of energy deveelopment as well as policy considerations relevant in the context of developing countries. The paper identifies desirable research directions, indicates data needs, and assesses those aspects of subnational energy-planning problems that should receive better emphasis in national and international energy-plannng efforts.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/04/1979., "bnl-25537", " conf-790134-1", International seminar on energy, Hyderabad, India, 4 Jan 1979., and Meier, P.M.; Mubayi, V.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23764583