ZrB2-HfB2 solid solutions as electrode materials for hydrogen reaction in acidic and basic solutions [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Office of the Assistant Secretary of Energy for Fossil Energy, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- 6 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Office of the Assistant Secretary of Energy for Fossil Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Spark plasma sintered transition metal diborides such as HfB2, ZrB2 and their solid solutions were investigated as electrode materials for electrochemical hydrogen evolutions reactions (HER) in 1 M H2SO4 and 1 M NaOH electrolytes. HfB2 and ZrB2 formed complete solid solutions when mixed in 1:1, 1:4, and 4:1 ratios and they were stable in both electrolytes. The HER kinetics of the diborides were slower in the basic solution than in the acidic solutions. The Tafel slopes in 1 M H2SO4 were in the range of 0.15 - 0.18 V/decade except for pure HfB2 which showed a Tafel slope of 0.38 V/decade. In 1 M NaOH the Tafel slopes were in the range of 0.12 - 0.27 V/decade. The composition of HfxZr1-xB2 solid solutions with x = 0.2 - 0.8, influenced the exchange current densities, overpotentials and Tafel slopes of the HER. As a result, the EIS data were fitted with a porous film equivalent circuit model in order to better understand the HER behavior. In addition, modeling calculations, using density functional theory approach, were carried out to estimate the density of states and band structure of the boride solid solutions.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:1331595
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Materials Letters ISSN 0167-577X AM
Steven J. Sitler; Krishnan S. Raja; Indrajit Charit.
Univ. of Idaho, Moscow, ID (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23765369