A Validation Study of the Compressible Rayleigh–Taylor Instability Comparing the Ares and Miranda Codes [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2017. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 061,204 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- In this paper, the compressible Rayleigh–Taylor (RT) instability is studied by performing a suite of large eddy simulations (LES) using the Miranda and Ares codes. A grid convergence study is carried out for each of these computational methods, and the convergence properties of integral mixing diagnostics and late-time spectra are established. A comparison between the methods is made using the data from the highest resolution simulations in order to validate the Ares hydro scheme. We find that the integral mixing measures, which capture the global properties of the RT instability, show good agreement between the two codes at this resolution. The late-time turbulent kinetic energy and mass fraction spectra roughly follow a Kolmogorov spectrum, and drop off as k approaches the Nyquist wave number of each simulation. The spectra from the highest resolution Miranda simulation follow a Kolmogorov spectrum for longer than the corresponding spectra from the Ares simulation, and have a more abrupt drop off at high wave numbers. The growth rate is determined to be between around 0.03 and 0.05 at late times; however, it has not fully converged by the end of the simulation. Finally, we study the transition from direct numerical simulation (DNS) to LES. The highest resolution simulations become LES at around t/τ ≃ 1.5. Finally, to have a fully resolved DNS through the end of our simulations, the grid spacing must be 3.6 (3.1) times finer than our highest resolution mesh when using Miranda (Ares).
- Published through SciTech Connect., 04/20/2017., "llnl-jrnl--705687", Journal of Fluids Engineering 139 6 ISSN 0098-2202 AM, and Thomas J. Rehagen; Jeffrey A. Greenough; Britton J. Olson.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23767222