Verification experiment of the three-dimensional Oak Ridge transport code (TORT) [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1985. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- 60 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- An experiment was conducted at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory Tower Shielding Facility during FY 1984-85 to provide verification of a discrete ordinates Three-Dimensional Oak Ridge Transport computer code (TORT), which is being developed at ORNL for calculating the neutron and gamma-ray fluxes within concrete structures that were exposed to radiation at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In the experiment a collimated beam of radiation from the Tower Shielding Reactor II, modified to represent the spectra of neutrons and gamma rays emitted in weapons bursts, impinged on a concrete structure simulating a small, simple, single-story concrete block house. Variations in the structure were introduced during the experiment by successive changes in the outer wall and within the building: several blocks in the front wall were removed to form a window; a concrete support pillar within the building was relocated; and a central concrete wall was added to divide the single room into two rooms of approximately the same dimensions. Integral neutron fluxes and gamma-ray energy depositions were measured both in the modified reactor beam and at selected locations inside each structure. This report describes the experiment and presents the detailed results in both tabular and graphical form. It also discusses the impact of the variations in the basic configuration on the measured results.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 12/01/1985., "ornl/tm--9528", and F. J. Muckenthaler; L. B. Holland; J. L. Hull; J. J. Manning.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23769926