Results of the radiological survey at 90 Orchard Place Maywood, New Jersey (MJ023) [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy, 1989. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (9 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Maywood Chemical Works (MCW) of Maywood, New Jersey, generated process wastes and residues associated with the production and refining of thorium and thorium compounds from monazite ores from 1916 to 1956. MCW supplied rare earth metals and thorium compounds to the Atomic Energy Commission and various other government agencies from the late 1940s to the mid-1950s. Area residents used the sandlike waste from this thorium extraction process mixed with tea and cocoa leaves as mulch in their yards. Some of these contaminated wastes were also eroded from the site into Lodi Brook. At the request of the US Department of Energy (DOE), a group from Oak Ridge National Laboratory conducts investigative radiological surveys of properties in the vicinity of MCW to determine whether a property is contaminated with radioactive residues, principally 233Th, derived from the MCW site. The surveys typically includes direct measurement of gamma radiation levels and soil sampling for radionuclide analyses. The survey of this site, 90 Orchard Place, Maywood, New Jersey (MJ023), was conducted during 1987. While some radiological measurements taken at 90 Orchard Place were slightly greater than typical background levels encountered in the northern New Jersey area, no radionuclide concentrations nor radiation levels exceeded the applicable federal criteria. Based on the survey data it is recommended that this site be eliminated from consideration for inclusion in the DOE remedial action program. 5 refs., 2 figs., 3 tabs.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 10/01/1989., "ornl/rasa-89/28", "DE90003430", and Foley, R.D.; Carrier, R.F.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23778722