Background radiation measurements at high power research reactors [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2016. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 401-419 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Research reactors host a wide range of activities that make use of the intense neutron fluxes generated at these facilities. Recent interest in performing measurements with relatively low event rates, e.g. reactor antineutrino detection, at these facilities necessitates a detailed understanding of background radiation fields. Both reactor-correlated and naturally occurring background sources are potentially important, even at levels well below those of importance for typical activities. Here we describe a comprehensive series of background assessments at three high-power research reactors, including γ-ray, neutron, and muon measurements. For each facility we describe the characteristics and identify the sources of the background fields encountered. Furthermore, the general understanding gained of background production mechanisms and their relationship to facility features will prove valuable for the planning of any sensitive measurement conducted therein.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/2016., "llnl-jrnl--669986", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section A, Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 806 C ISSN 0168-9002 AM, and Ashenfelter, J.; Balantekin, B.; Baldenegro, C.; Band, H.; Barclay, G.; Bass, C.; Berish, D.; Bowden, N.; Bryan, C.; Cherwinka, J.; Chu, R.; Classen, T.; Davee, D.; Dean, D.; Deichert, G.; Dolinski, M.; Dolph, J.; Dwyer, D.; Fan, S.; Gaison, J.; Galindo-Uribarri, A.; Gilje, K.; Glenn, A.; Green, M.; Han, K.; et al.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 23781013