A statistical study of EMIC waves observed by Cluster. 1. Wave properties. EMIC Wave Properties [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2015. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 5,574-5,592 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Electromagnetic ion cyclotron (EMIC) waves are an important mechanism for particle energization and losses inside the magnetosphere. In order to better understand the effects of these waves on particle dynamics, detailed information about the occurrence rate, wave power, ellipticity, normal angle, energy propagation angle distributions, and local plasma parameters are required. Previous statistical studies have used in situ observations to investigate the distribution of these parameters in the magnetic local time versus L-shell (MLT-L) frame within a limited magnetic latitude (MLAT) range. In our study, we present a statistical analysis of EMIC wave properties using 10 years (2001–2010) of data from Cluster, totaling 25,431 min of wave activity. Due to the polar orbit of Cluster, we are able to investigate EMIC waves at all MLATs and MLTs. This allows us to further investigate the MLAT dependence of various wave properties inside different MLT sectors and further explore the effects of Shabansky orbits on EMIC wave generation and propagation. Thus, the statistical analysis is presented in two papers. OUr paper focuses on the wave occurrence distribution as well as the distribution of wave properties. The companion paper focuses on local plasma parameters during wave observations as well as wave generation proxies.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/23/2015., "la-ur--14-25307", Journal of Geophysical Research. Space Physics 120 7 ISSN 2169-9380 AM, and R. C. Allen; J. -C. Zhang; L. M. Kistler; H. E. Spence; R. -L. Lin; B. Klecker; M. W. Dunlop; M. André; V. K. Jordanova.
- Funding Information:
- NNX11AO82G, NNX11AB65G, 967399, and AC52-06NA25396
View MARC record | catkey: 23782544