- From mustard gas to modern medicine : the origins, evolution and efficacy of maximum tolerated dose (MTD) chemotherapy -- In defense of our health : the role of the immune system in cancer prevention and control -- Less is more : the benefits of low-dose metronomic chemotherapy -- East meets west : the value of integrative cancer therapies -- Integrative treatment plans in action : case histories and statistics -- Moving forward with integrative cancer treatment.
- In our current era of rapidly developing cancer drugs and therapies, we also see improvement of cancer treatment outcomes stagnating when it comes to determining quality of life or long-term survival. This is because while new treatments are making small incremental progress in outcomes, most cancer patients still depend on conventional methods that are both toxic and ineffective. While new cancer drugs are becoming more precise or targeted, less attention is being paid to the overall health and wellbeing of the patient, which we propose is essential for long-term cancer control and improving a patient's quality of life. Rx for Hope, backed by rigorous science and real-life patient cases, calls for an urgent reevaluation of the current conventional approach to cancer treatments and encourages a progressive treatment model combining metronomic low-dose chemotherapy with complementary integrative medicine. Along with new, breakthrough immunotherapy drugs, these treatments can potentially create a response powerful enough to not only eradicate the presence of cancer but also to prevent it from returning. Because every 23 seconds someone in America is diagnosed with cancer, the number of people affected is growing rapidly. The American Cancer Society estimates that nearly two million new patients will need treatment in the coming year. Judging by current trends and methods of treatment, far too many of these people will be treated without the benefits of low-dose chemotherapy, and even less will enjoy the positive impact of immune-supportive complementary integrative medicine. Rx for Hope offers insight into a powerful way of treating cancer that patients and doctors can implement immediately for optimal results.
- 9781538101605 (cloth ; alk. paper)
1538101602 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Robert E. and Joyce L. Umbaugh Libraries Endowment for the Penn State DuBois Campus Library; 2018
- Endowment Note:
- Robert E. and Joyce L. Umbaugh Libraries Endowment for the Penn State DuBois Campus Library
View MARC record | catkey: 23785262