Celebrity fans and their consumer behaviour : autoethnographic insights into the life of a fan / Markus Wohlfeil
- Wohlfeil, Markus, 1969-
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, ©2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations, text file, PDF
- Machine generated contents note: 1.In Our Nature: the phenomenon of celebrity fandom -- Why studying consumers 'fan relationships with celebrities -- Origin of my research journey into the world of celebrity fandom -- Overall aim(s) of this book's research journey into celebrity fandom -- Into the Wild (or the research's epistemological and methodological foundations) -- A brief road map for the next chapters of the book -- 2.The Dangerous Lives of Fans: stereotypes and stigmas -- Creative industries, celebrities and fans in contemporary culture -- Fans: the rise of evil? -- Fan or fanatic: what actually is a fan? -- Fans and fandom as subjects of academic research -- Approaching a taxonomy of fans -- The need for an alternative conceptualisation of fans -- 3.The Book of Stars: consuming human brands -- For love of the movies -- The study of film in marketing -- The study of film in consumer research -- The study of film in film studies -- Neon Demon -- The study of film stars in marketing and consumer research -- The study of celebrities in media studies -- The study of film stars and actors in film studies -- Understanding a consumer's celebrity fandom through narrative transportation -- 4.Confessions of a Jena Malone Fan -- A journey into the life of a fan -- How I met Jena Malone for the first time -- How and why my fan relationship with Jena Malone developed further -- How Pride & Prejudice strengthened my fan relationship with Jena Malone -- How a dream sparked my romantic emotional attachment to Jena Malone... -- How my romantic emotional attachment to Jena Malone evolved further... -- How my emotional relationship with Jena Malone actually `Saved!' me... -- 5.Catching Fire: the polysemic allure of celebrities -- Time Out of Mind -- Four Last Songs -- The celebrity as a performer -- The celebrity as a `private' person -- The celebrity as a tangible possession -- The celebrity as a social link -- The Messenger -- 6.Lovesong: living everyday celebrity fandom -- Five Star Day -- Admiring the celebrity as a performer -- Adoring the celebrity as a `private' person -- Taking possession of the celebrity -- Sharing the celebrity -- Living with the celebrity -- 7.Sucker Punch(ed) or Saved? Celebrity fan takeaway s -- Inherent Vice -- Implications for using an autoethnographic methodology -- Implications for understanding film consumption -- Implications for understanding a celebrity's consumer appeal -- Implications for understanding celebrity fandom -- The Ruins or... a few last words.
- "Ever since the dawn of the Hollywood star system in the early 1920s, consumers have been fascinated by film stars and other celebrities and their seemingly glamorous private lives. The public demand for celebrities has become so pervasive that it is arguably an essential element of our everyday culture and market economy, and the focus of increasing study.This book explores the widespread phenomenon of celebrity fandom and provides a deeper understanding of why individual consumers develop an emotional attachment to their favourite celebrity and what this parasocial fan relationship means in their life. Based on an in-depth insider study of a consumer's fan relationship with a film actress, the book provides unique insights into the celebrity/fan relationship, revealing the meaning it has for the consumer in everyday life, and how it evolves and expresses itself over time. While this book is primarily located within the field of consumer research, fandom and celebrity are of interest to a variety of academic disciplines. It will appeal to an interdisciplinary audience from marketing and consumer research, film studies, media studies, cultural studies, and sociology."--Provided by publisher.
- 9781351173476 (e-book: PDF), 9781351173483 (e-book), 9781351173452 (e-book: Mobi), and 9780815387275 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print format.
View MARC record | catkey: 23785826