Women and the city, women in the city [electronic resource] : a gendered perspective to Ottoman urban history / edited by Nazan Maksudyan
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2014.
- First Edition.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 195 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Maksudyan, Nazan, 1977-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- List of figures -- Preface. Kaffee und Kuchen -- Acknowledgments -- Introduction. A gendered perspective to Ottoman urban history -- Women and reorganization of urban life -- Times of tamaddun : gender, urbanity, and temporality in colonial Egypt / On Barak -- Women in the post-Ottoman public sphere : anti-veiling campaigns and the gendered reshaping of urban space in early republican Turkey / Sevgi Adak -- Male spaces, female spaces? : limits of and breaches in the gendered order of the city -- Playing with gender : the carnival of al-qays in Jeddah / Ulrike Freitag -- Mixed marriage, prostitution, survival : reintegrating Armenian women into post-Ottoman cities / Vah Tachjian -- "This time women as well got involved in politics!" : nineteenth century Ottoman women's organizations and political agency / Nazan Maksudyan -- Discourses and narratives of gender in the urban context -- Early republican Turkish orientalism : the erotic picture of an Algerian woman and the notion of beauty between the "west" and the "orient" / Nora Lafi -- The urban experience in women's memoirs : Mediha Kayra's World War I notebook / Christoph Herzog -- Notes on contributors -- Bibliography -- Index.
- 9781782384113 (hardback : alk. paper) and 9781782384120 (institutional ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 23794396