Chemical Modification of Graphene Oxide by Nitrogenation [electronic resource] : An X-ray Absorption and Emission Spectroscopy Study
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, 2017.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 42,235 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Nitrogen-doped graphene oxides (GO:N x) were synthesized by a partial reduction of graphene oxide (GO) using urea [CO(NH 2) 2 ]. Their electronic/bonding structures were investigated using X-ray absorption near-edge structure (XANES), valence-band photoemission spectroscopy (VB-PES), X-ray emission spectroscopy (XES) and resonant inelastic X-ray scattering (RIXS). During GO:N x synthesis, different nitrogen-bonding species, such as pyrrolic/graphitic-nitrogen, were formed by replacing of oxygen-containing functional groups. At lower N-content (2.7 at%), pyrrolic-N, owing to surface and subsurface diffusion of C, N and NH is deduced from various X-ray spectroscopies. In contrast, at higher N-content (5.0 at%) graphitic nitrogen was formed in which each N-atom trigonally bonds to three distinct sp 2 -hybridized carbons with substitution of the N-atoms for C atoms in the graphite layer. Upon nitrogen substitution, the total density of state close to Fermi level is increased to raise the valence-band maximum, as revealed by VB-PES spectra, indicating an electron donation from nitrogen, molecular bonding C/N/O coordination or/and lattice structure reorganization in GO:N x . The well-ordered chemical environments induced by nitrogen dopant are revealed by XANES and RIXS measurements.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:1379732
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Scientific Reports 7 ISSN 2045-2322 AM
Cheng-Hao Chuang; Sekhar C. Ray; Debarati Mazumder; Surbhi Sharma; Abhijit Ganguly; Pagona Papakonstantinou; Jau-Wern Chiou; Huang-Ming Tsai; Hung-Wei Shiu; Chia-Hao Chen; Hong-Ji Lin; Jinghua Guo; Way-Faung Pong.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24044715