High-Performance Core–Shell Catalyst with Nitride Nanoparticles as a Core [electronic resource] : Well-Defined Titanium Copper Nitride Coated with an Atomic Pt Layer for the Oxygen Reduction Reaction
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, 2017.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 3,810-3,817 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- A class of core–shell structured low-platinum catalysts with well-dispersed inexpensive titanium copper nitride nanoparticles as cores and atomic platinum layers as shells exhibiting high activity and stability for the oxygen reduction reaction is successfully developed. In using nitrided carbon nanotubes (NCNTs) as the support greatly improved the morphology and dispersion of the nitride nanoparticles, resulting in significant enhancement of the performance of the catalyst. The optimized catalyst, Ti<sub>0.9</sub>Cu<sub>0.1</sub>N@Pt/NCNTs, has a Pt mass activity 5 times higher than that of commercial Pt/C, comparable to that of core–shell catalysts with precious metal nanoparticles as the core, and much higher than that the latter if we take into account the mass activity of all platinum group metals. Furthermore, only a minimal loss of activity can be observed after 10000 potential cycles, demonstrating the catalyst’s high stability. After durability testing, atomic-scale elemental mapping confirmed that the core–shell structure of the catalyst remained intact. This approach may open a pathway for the design and preparation of high-performance inexpensive core–shell catalysts for a wide range of applications in energy conversion processes.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
ACS Catalysis 7 6 ISSN 2155-5435 AM
Xinlong Tian; Haibo Tang; Junming Luo; Haoxiong Nan; Ting Shu; Li Du; Jianhuang Zeng; Shijun Liao; Radoslav R. Adzic.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24044938