Multi-dimensional optimization of a terawatt seeded tapered Free Electron Laser with a Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- pages 56-63 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- There is a great interest in generating high-power hard X-ray Free Electron Laser (FEL) in the terawatt (TW) level that can enable coherent diffraction imaging of complex molecules like proteins and probe fundamental high-field physics. A feasibility study of producing such X-ray pulses was carried out in this paper employing a configuration beginning with a Self-Amplified Spontaneous Emission FEL, followed by a “self-seeding” crystal monochromator generating a fully coherent seed, and finishing with a long tapered undulator where the coherent seed recombines with the electron bunch and is amplified to high power. The undulator tapering profile, the phase advance in the undulator break sections, the quadrupole focusing strength, etc. are parameters to be optimized. A Genetic Algorithm (GA) is adopted for this multi-dimensional optimization. Concrete examples are given for LINAC Coherent Light Source (LCLS) and LCLS-II-type systems. Finally, analytical estimate is also developed to cross check the simulation and optimization results as a quick and complimentary tool.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:1353184
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section A, Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 846 ISSN 0168-9002 AM
Juhao Wu; Newman Hu; Hananiel Setiawan; Xiaobiao Huang; Tor O. Raubenheimer; Yi Jiao; George Yu; Ajay Mandlekar; Simone Spampinati; Kun Fang; Chungming Chu; Ji Qiang.
SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24049170