Neutron temporal diagnostic for high-yield deuterium-tritium cryogenic implosions on OMEGA [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2016.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 053,501 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- A next-generation neutron temporal diagnostic (NTD) capable of recording high-quality data for the highest anticipated yield cryogenic DT implosion experiments was recently installed at the Omega Laser Facility. A high-quality measurement of the neutron production width is required to determine the hot-spot pressure achieved in inertial confinement fusion experiments—a key metric in assessing the quality of these implosions. The design of this NTD is based on a fast-rise-time plastic scintillator, which converts the neutron kinetic energy to 350- to 450-nm-wavelength light. The light from the scintillator inside the nose-cone assembly is relayed ~16 m to a streak camera in a well-shielded location. An ~200× reduction in neutron background was observed during the first high-yield DT cryogenic implosions compared to the current NTD installation on OMEGA. An impulse response of ~40±10 ps was measured in a dedicated experiment using hard x rays from a planar target irradiated with a 10-ps short pulse from the OMEGA EP laser. Furthermore, the measured instrument response includes contributions from the scintillator rise time, optical relay, and streak camera.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Review of Scientific Instruments 87 5 ISSN 0034-6748; RSINAK AM
C. Stoeckl; R. Boni; F. Ehrne; C. J. Forrest; V. Yu. Glebov; J. Katz; D. J. Lonobile; J. Magoon; S. P. Regan; M. J. Shoup, III; A. Sorce; C. Sorce; T. C. Sangster; D. Weiner.
Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24049201