Next generation gamma-ray Cherenkov detectors for the National Ignition Facility [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, 2016. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 11E732 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The newest generation of Gas Cherenkov Detector (GCD-3) employed in Inertial Confinement Fusion experiments at the Omega Laser Facility has provided improved performance over previous generations. Comparison of reaction histories measured using two different deuterium-tritium fusion products, namely gamma rays using GCD and neutrons using Neutron Temporal Diagnostic (NTD), have provided added credibility to both techniques. GCD-3 is now being brought to the National Ignition Facility (NIF) to supplement the existing Gamma Reaction History (GRH-6m) located 6 m from target chamber center (TCC). Initially it will be located in a reentrant well located 3.9 m from TCC. Data from GCD-3 will inform the design of a heavily-shielded “Super” GCD to be located as close as 20 cm from TCC. In conclusion, it will also provide a test-bed for faster optical detectors, potentially lowering the temporal resolution from the current ~100 ps state-of-the-art photomultiplier tubes (PMT) to ~10 ps Pulse Dilation PMT technology currently under development.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 10/19/2016., "llnl-jrnl--737688", Review of Scientific Instruments 87 11 ISSN 0034-6748; RSINAK AM, High Temperature Plasma Diagnostics, Madison, WI (United States), 5-6 Jun 2016., and H. W. Herrmann; Y. H. Kim; A. M. McEvoy; A. B. Zylstra; C. S. Young; F. E. Lopez; J. R. Griego; V. E. Fatherley; J. A. Oertel; W. Stoeffl; H. Khater; J. E. Hernandez; A. Carpenter; M. S. Rubery; C. J. Horsfield; S. Gales; A. Leatherland; T. Hilsabeck; J. D. Kilkenny; R. M. Malone; J. D. Hares; J. Milnes; W. T. Shmayda; C. Stoeckl; S. H. Batha.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24049208