Phase Coexistence and Kinetic Arrest in the Magnetostructural Transition of the Ordered Alloy FeRh [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, 2018. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- Article numbers 1,778 (2,018) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Basic Energy Sciences, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- In materials where two or more ordering degrees of freedom are closely matched in their free energies, coupling between them, or multiferroic behavior can occur. These phenomena can produce a very rich phase behavior, as well as emergent phases that offer useful properties and opportunities to reveal novel phenomena in phase transitions. The ordered alloy FeRh undergoes an antiferromagnetic to ferromagnetic phase transition at ~375 K, which illustrates the interplay between structural and magnetic order mediated by a delicate energy balance between two configurations. We have examined this transition using a combination of high-resolution x-ray structural and magnetic imaging and comprehensive x-ray magnetic circular dichroism spectroscopy. We find that the transition proceeds via a defect-driven domain nucleation and growth mechanism, with significant return point memory in both the structural and magnetic domain configurations. In conclusion, the domains show evidence of inhibited growth after nucleation, resulting in a quasi-<sup>2nd</sup> order temperature behavior.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/29/2018., "139667", Scientific Reports 8 1 ISSN 2045-2322 AM, and David J. Keavney; Yongseong Choi; Martin V. Holt; Vojtech Uhlir; Dario Arena; Eric E. Fullerton; Philip J. Ryan; Jong -Woo Kim.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24054546