Facile synthesis of Pt-Pd alloy nanocages and Pt nanorings by templating with Pd nanoplates [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Science, 2016. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Physical Description:
- 19 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy. Office of Science, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- We report a facile method for the synthesis of Pt-Pd nanocages and Pt nanorings by conformally coating Pd nanoplates with Pt-based shells using polyol- and water-based protocols, respectively, followed by selective removal of the Pd cores. For the polyol-based system, Pd nanoplates were conformally coated with Pt-Pd alloy shells due to the use of a high reaction temperature of 200 °C and a slow injection rate for the Pt precursor. In comparison, Pt shells were formed on Pd nanoplates (with a larger thickness on the side face than on the top/bottom face) in the water-based system due to the use of a low reaction temperature of 80 °C and the presence of twin boundaries on the side face. As such, the Pd@Pt nanoplates prepared using the polyol- and water-based protocols evolved into Pt-Pd nanocages and Pt nanorings, respectively, when the Pd templates in the cores were selectively removed by wet etching. As a result, the wall thickness of the nanocages and the ridge thickness of the nanorings could be reduced down to 1.1 nm and 1.8 nm, respectively, without breaking the hollow structures.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 09/06/2016., "KC0403040", "ERKCZ01", ChemNanoMat ISSN 2199-692X AM, and Xue Wang; Ming Luo; Hongwen Huang; Miaofang Chi; Jane Howe; Zhaoxiong Xie; Younan Xia.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 24055609